My Arctic Adventure- update 9/12

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My uncle taught up north for three years, and at the first place he taught, he was incredibly discouraged about the attitude towards education. He was told he had to pass kids that didn't even show up to class!!!
That is a very small town. Do you have any hobbies that you can do to keep you occupied? Is there anything you can learn from someone in the community, like beadwork or sculpture (art?)

jorats said:
That's very interesting. And I have to say, it's nice to see that you place the blame not with the people, but with those who tried their damnedest to make them white.

I had never really done much thinking about it but after experiencing it I am a firm believer that they should have just been left alone. Instead of doing any good we have created a large number of people dependent on social assistance who can no longer fend for themselves if left alone. I'm not even sure where you would start to get them back to a functioning society. But for now all I can do is provide an education for the ones who want to learn.

Joanne said:
My uncle taught up north for three years, and at the first place he taught, he was incredibly discouraged about the attitude towards education. He was told he had to pass kids that didn't even show up to class!!!
That is a very small town. Do you have any hobbies that you can do to keep you occupied? Is there anything you can learn from someone in the community, like beadwork or sculpture (art?)

Yes there's quite an issue with the 'just pass everyone method'. Here that only happens until grade 9 then after that you have to earn the grade, the problem there is that most of the students aren't working at a grade 9 level when they are in grade 9. Combine that with poor attendance and I will probably only have a 20% pass rate.

I do quite a bit of reading but I do need something else. Sewing is huge up here but it has never really been my thing and some ladies can be hesitant to step forward and offer assistance. I have to keep reminding myself it's still early in the year so I'm sure something will turn up.

Oh my... it's fast! But I think we will soon be getting our snow too. It's been quite cold -3 in the mornings.
Sure makes beautiful pictures though. Hang in there!!!

mamarat said:
I hope you tell us how it feels living in total darkness. It looks beautiful and clean over there though.

I will definitely keep you posted. Right now the sun rises around 10am and sets by 6pm. Sadly it looks so nice because the snow hides the junk. They aren't overly concerned by litter and other crap laying around.

Well we have officially reached total darkness. I haven't seen the sun in over 3 weeks and we are now to the point where it only gets slightly lighter for about an hour at noon. It makes sleeping in very easy :giggle: And I leave for Ontario in 9 days!!

Wow... so weird!!! I guess the people there are quite used to it. I wonder how many people develop SAD.
I bet you can't wait to get home!

Are you going to Ontario just for vacation? Or leaving the North for good?

You are going to feel so good seeing the daylight when you come south! LOL

It's hard to imagine what that would be like! I am very dependent on light to awaken naturally. Left to my own devices up north, I would probably sleep twelve hours at a time without a wake-the-dead alarm clock.

Do you ever feel disoriented as to time?

Joanne said:
Are you going to Ontario just for vacation? Or leaving the North for good?

You are going to feel so good seeing the daylight when you come south! LOL

Just for my Christmas vacation.

Godmother said:
It's hard to imagine what that would be like! I am very dependent on light to awaken naturally. Left to my own devices up north, I would probably sleep twelve hours at a time without a wake-the-dead alarm clock.

Do you ever feel disoriented as to time?

On school days I don't get disoriented because I keep to a schedule with the school day. On weekends if left to my own devices I will sleep until noon because of the darkness and those are the days I feel disoriented.

The counselor has one of those and she says it's the only way she is able to get up in the morning. I did shift work before so I've gone days in Ontario without seeing the sun. I hate waking up in the dark but I don't really struggle with it.

On another note I'm starting to get worried about the weather next week. My plane is supposed to depart on the 18th and of course they are now calling for snow that day so send lots of good weather vibes my way please!

Back