Musical Pot Luck

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julien

Hiya Guys!

I just had a great idea (in my opinion)! A lot of the music we hear on the Radio is the same stuff you can hear anywhere. I just wanted to make this thread so that people can express their musical tastes by recommending songs to each other! I think that would be a good way to diversify our musical portfolios!

You might also post why you like a certain song as well, its all about sharing here!

This was inspired by some of the interesting songs I have checked out from looking at the "What was the last song you listened to" thread. But this way, we not only get to experience a random last song, rather we get to hear a song you really enjoy!

Anyways, I'll start!

Psycho Killer - Cage the Elephant

I like this one since it's a little different, it's a little random, and of course they incorporate some French into the main chorus!
Now I have not listened to this song with a critical ear, but I have not found any real deep meaning to it, I just like the way it sounds!

Just checking, you know that it was originally done by the talking heads right? :wink: I will have to check out their version though, I like that one song I've heard by them.
I will suggest my favorite song by my favorite group: Rusty the Skatemaker by Rasputina
Rasputina is 2-3 cellists + percussion + vocals. The song is just...my favorite. It makes me happy and sad at the same time. :)

@ blytherue - I knew I heard that song before, the Talking Heads eh, I will have to check that version out.
@ Cassandra - Laughing with is a good song, I don't listen to it anymore tho, it makes me too sad.
@ Zooy - I will check out Sevendust.

In the meantime - Open Up Your Eyes - Daughtry, you might have heard of him but this song is not a hit, buts it my favorite on the album, it's sad with a glimmer of hope, exactly how I felt when I first heard it.

Was that the stuff with the ducks... man that was weird.

Lost in the Sun - Hinder
Remember your first love (aw cute puppy dog eyes and such...) well this song takes place 7 years later, and that old lover never moved on, and is back! Its a pretty nice toon that makes you reminisce about all that you lost (but really gained).

@julien: i know the orignal psycho killer but i've never heard of that version before.
@zooy: though it's not my taste of music, they were easier to listen to then i thought and weren't that bad
@moon: for some reason that duck song started growing on me as it was playing. :lol:

and now for my randomness...

i'm not sure how good any of the youvideo themselves are so no need to watch, just listen. lol
nothing i've ever known -bryan adams and sound the buglejust because i like bryan adams and i actually like most of the songs on this soundtrack

stand out
I2I
i love disney music but my guess is these 2 songs are less popular, so i'm sharing them just cause i like them

and from my oldies list... i love howard keel's voice
sobbin women
and i love doris day singing this song
secret love

and last one
i like classic rock too but apparently i use to kick to this one when i was a baby (and of course i still like the song now)
money for nothing by dire straits

i don't expect anyone to listen to them all but thise are the ones i felt like throwing out there today, lol

I recommend the album 69 love songs by the magnetic fields, I think I need a new heart & I don't want to get over you are 2 of my faves, but most of the tracks are worth a listen if you've ever been in or out of love. I love that guys voice lol.

@jo: i thought i didn't know who 3oh3 was but i do the song don't trust. i've heard it a bunch of times on the radio. any particular favs by them i should listen too?
@sausage: i really liked the piano in that song, it made the song softer

I simply love The Fray. I do not know why but I do.

Ok now I am just going to list my current favs on the iPod:
Beast of Burden...oldie but I just love it!
Beautiful by Eminem --you have to like eminem to enjoy any of his music
Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright---I don't like most of the other versions
Good Time by Leroy---this was in scrubs but like the 1st episode
Hospital Beds by Cold War Kids
Love you til the end by the Pogues ---this was in ps I love you
Sultans of Swing by the dire straits --- I love the beat of this song for some reason
The Tracks of my Tears by Smokey Robinson
Not Meant to be by Theory of a Deadman ---totally my fav fav!!

I love when ppl sing with passion like they are putting everything they have into it...but don't get me wrong not all of the above songs are sung that way

lilratsy43 said:
I simply love The Fray. I do not know why but I do.
I agree completely! :nod:
If anyone likes some techno-ier stuff, apoptygma berzerk is good stuff. They have a few cool covers of other people's songs, like fade to black & all tommorrows parties. and some of my favorites of theirs are kathy's song (come lie next to me), until the end of the world, and moment of tranquility (which uses the theme from twin peaks :heart: )
and one of my favorite songs ever is with you by ill niño it's gots awesome spanishy guitar and is really different from most of their other (also good, but more metal-y) music

Julien said:
Oh, Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright, is such a beautiful song, my friend and I won a talent competition once for our duet lol!

Totally my favorite version too :thumbup: also LOVE LOVE LOVE that Leroy song :heart:

lol and now that im listening to that my mind has gone blank... *blink*

The song Handlebars by Flobots has really grown on me....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUX0y4EptA

as well as punch drunk grinning soul by Flogging Molly....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwA0KuD62H4

and this song, just because I :heart: it...and would potentially bludgeon anyone who doesnt... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYlAwvz8uwc

Back