Murderous Moms?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capslock

Someone told me that they have seen many mother rats kill a litter of their 4 week old pups, for absolutely no reason.
She said it happens "all the time" for no reason" but I have never heard of this.
Is it true?

I can see it happening either if the pups have health problems or if there's overcrowding or if mama's really stressed, but usually even in those cases it happens in the "squirming jellybean" stage of development, before they get fur and eyes and such. CCRR had a surrender with lots of pregnant rats a short while back, and not one of them killed her pups.

minnow said:
I can see it happening either if the pups have health problems or if there's overcrowding or if mama's really stressed, but usually even in those cases it happens in the "squirming jellybean" stage of development, before they get fur and eyes and such. CCRR had a surrender with lots of pregnant rats a short while back, and not one of them killed her pups.
I'll pretty much relay that exact reply.

Back