Multiple Abscesses ** Graphic Pictures :( **

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nattykins

Remy had an abscess by her groin which burst and I gave her daily salt baths and it started getting better...

Now it looks like multiple burst abscesses (it's about the size of a nickel) - I keep giving her daily baths but it doesn't look like it's getting better...And during todays bath I noticed that she now has a couple small sores on her back... She doesn't seem in pain at all - I was trying to clean out the abscess some today and not a peep from her, and she's running around as always...

I'm going to get an appointment with the vet, but any ideas on what's going on?

Whatever it is, it certainly doesn't sound pleasant :( Hopefully someone can help...

If you could get some decent pics, that might help.

Here are a couple pictures I took this morning: They are not very pretty...

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

Oh My,

Well im not sure if it is a relief or not but that does not look at all like what my little S has ... it does look like deep seeded burst abcesses
*hugs* to the little lady

Were they typical abscesses? Did they swell up, darken and burst and have a little cavity or did they just show up like growing sores?

If its the latter or even the former and they ended up looking like that, I think you are dealing with Pyoderma. I went through it awhile ago with a former rat. :(

Here is Selene's history on ratguide.
http://ratguide.com/health/figures/pyod ... gure_4.php

Oh dear, it's not like what mine had either. It looks like a deep abscess, my bunny had a long time ago. It was a small bite but got infected. It looks like there's some necrosis all around it. Hopefully the vet can remove it and close it up.

If it was in theory a bite wound abscess that would also make sense....two areas of infection? isolated yet close together

I agree with Jo - it does look like it is in need of a good debriding and suture...

lilspaz68 said:
Were they typical abscesses? Did they swell up, darken and burst and have a little cavity or did they just show up like growing sores?

I think they they were typical abscesses - This was my first experience with something like this - It started with a black bump which burst. Soon after another one burst right next to it (I don't think this one had a black bump though) and then it just kept growing...

Hopefully the vet can fix her...not ready for her to be gone just yet...

Back