MRRG's Belle's baby thread- 5 weeks old going to homes

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

Alrighty so I think everyone knows we took in the two girls who were in with a boy. I'm like 95% sure that Tink is not pregnant. She doesn't have that little baby bulge anymore. We were going to have her sent up to Velma to raise the litter if she was pregnant but when I went to take Tink out of the cage her sister Belle was very concerned as to where I was taking her sister.
So Tink stayed here. I couldn't do that to them after all they've been through. So if Tink is pregnant then we'll be raising two litters but I don't think she is now by looking at her.

Belle on the other hand is ohhh so pregnant and is quite pear shaped so it must be soon. I haven't seen the babies move yet but she has been sleeping a lot.

We've never had a bonded pregnant rescue before so my question to those who have maybe been in this situation is do I let Tink stay in with Belle till Belle has the babies and then take Tink out? or Can Tink stay in with Belle when she has the babies?

They are really close. When one comes to see what I'm doing the other isn't far behind. They do everything together. So I want to make them happy by staying together but I'm just not sure if Tink should be in the same cage when Belle has little eepers to tend to.

I need to get Bell's weight. The other day it was close to 400g

I know that they will communually raise litters, but I am unsure what happens if only one has babies. My only concern would be Tink 'stealing' the babies but being unable to nurse them therefore leading to starvation. I would just watch and make sure milk bellies are visible. I don't think she'd harm them...

Jezz, my lard butts are 450 and 479, and theys huge! Im starting to think this will be a bigger litter :(

I have no idea on Belle and Tink though with them staying together. Hope someone can offer some advice!

Yeah I was thinking about the stealing of babies as well.... I don't want that to happen for sure.

I just weighed Belle again and she's 410g today...yikes! I think she's going to have 15 little eepers I bet....oh my :panic:

Unfortunately no matter how attached they are they need to be separated before the babies come but then after the babies come they can have daily out time together. This might mean separating them before you go to work if you think she might pop that day. As well as they get along now there's no telling what might happen when you add babies to the mix, I personally wouldn't risk it.

Seperate them into cages next to one another when you are not around.
When you are supervising, let them be together.
Once the babies are born, seperate them into side by side cages and let them have out time together.
We had two bonded females several years ago and both were pregnant.
Once the babies were a couple of weeks old, the adult girls were able to safely be in the same cage but that would depend upon the rats.
You would need to be careful when allowing Tink access to the babies as she could view the babies as prey although I have never seen that happen ... Since it sounds like both girls have had previous litters, it is likely that Tink would be good with the babies once they are a couple of weeks old.

Did the boy get neutered yet?
In a few weeks he could go back in with the nonpregnant girl and all 3 could have out times together.
However, I wouldn't trust him around babies.

SQ said:
Seperate them into cages next to one another when you are not around.
When you are supervising, let them be together.
Once the babies are born, seperate them into side by side cages and let them have out time together.
We had two bonded females several years ago and both were pregnant.
Once the babies were a couple of weeks old, the adult girls were able to safely be in the same cage but that would depend upon the rats.
You would need to be careful when allowing Tink access to the babies as she could view the babies as prey although I have never seen that happen ... Since it sounds like both girls have had previous litters, it is likely that Tink would be good with the babies once they are a couple of weeks old.

Did the boy get neutered yet?
In a few weeks he could go back in with the nonpregnant girl and all 3 could have out times together.
However, I wouldn't trust him around babies.

The lone boy was adopted and went to Halifax yesterday. He's getting neutered tomorrow and then going to his new home on Sunday where he'll have a new brother.

I'll get another cage set up today for Tink.

I didn't get to take Belle's weight today 'cause I forgot with all the rushing around. But I can feel the babies in her belly. They're not moving yet but this is the first time I have been able to feel them when inspecting her belly.

I'm predicting the weekend will be when she has them because I'll be at work lol that's always the way it goes.

Ooooo babies! :heart: I love babies
sad that there are more ratties in need but love when babies come, getting to watch their developement is awsome!
hoping for a small litter for her but from what your saying maybe not so small...poor girl.
keep us posted...maybe hubby will be more reseptive to a few new ratties after the holidays once I find out for sure whats up with travelling for work!

I got some pictures of her last night but need to upload them.

She is not going to have a small litter that's for sure. She's at 440g! :panic: She's huge and getting lump so it's gotta be soon...she can't get any bigger...I hope she can't anyways geez.

My guess is minimum 16 and max 18 or 19 :wallbang:

Sweet merciful, she's the same weight as my porkchops! And after having these girls here, I can totally see how 440g would be massive on a female. Sounds like you will have quite a few babies on your hands.. I'm calling first dibs on 2 boys! Dean and Sam will probably need a new cagemate if this situation at home continues :(

Oh my that is a huge weight gain in a few days!
new letter email to santa...
Dear Santa;
I wishing for a safe, fairly quick delivery for Belle, with healthy babies, please let this happen while Linds and Ange are home so they can be part of this wonderful time...
oh and if you can find a way to throw a few blue babies in there I would sure like to have one or two and don't much care if they are boys or girls, even though boys would need to be neutered before meeting the rest of my gang....and dumbos if its not too much to ask, oh yeah and a hubby that says yes to a couple more fur babies.

And please also add... safe and happy holidays for everyone... and world peace would be nice too.

Thanks Santa your the best!
Love
Tanya

OK findgers cross good vibes and all that to your sweet little mama. And even though I want blue dumbo babies (calling dibs on any that may come!) I really just wants safe delivery and helathy mom and babies. Good luck Belle!

Jems71 said:
OK findgers cross good vibes and all that to your sweet little mama. And even though I want blue dumbo babies (calling dibs on any that may come!) I really just wants safe delivery and helathy mom and babies. Good luck Belle!

Oh so not cool! You're gonna steal all the blue dumbos?! GAH! That's it, I'm camping out on Linds and Ange's lawn until babies are ready to go, I'll beat you to them!! LOL Nah, picking. We don't care about colors or ears, I just thought it was cute you have a list of wants! Blue dumbos sound so nice... *swoons*

I'm hoping theres an agouti boy, like Poppa... that and MRRG agrees to adopt to me again :p But, should we be able to get two boys, I'll probably ask MRRG to just send along whichever boys don't have homes :)

PitLuvs said:
Jems71 said:

Oh so not cool! You're gonna steal all the blue dumbos?! GAH! That's it, I'm camping out on Linds and Ange's lawn until babies are ready to go, I'll beat you to them!! LOL Nah, picking. We don't care about colors or ears, I just thought it was cute you have a list of wants! Blue dumbos sound so nice... *swoons*

I'm hoping theres an agouti boy, like Poppa... that and MRRG agrees to adopt to me again :p But, should we be able to get two boys, I'll probably ask MRRG to just send along whichever boys don't have homes :)

lol you two are funny

For sure can adopt some ratties. You two are great homes!

I think there will probably be some or many agoutis Donna 'cause is Hunter is the father he is an Agouti Berk. So handsome.

lol love your list Tanya

lindsayfawn said:
PitLuvs said:
Jems71 said:

lol you two are funny

I think there will probably be some or many agoutis Donna 'cause is Hunter is the father he is an Agouti Berk. So handsome.

lol love your list Tanya

We'll see how travels go, but any two boys who are not spoken for can come here with us, everyone else can have first pick. But I would love an agouti, I havent seen one in ages. I was thinking most would be agouti berk/hooded, pew or maybe smeeze?

Joe is saying since G'Kar is having a rough go with his CHF, maybe a pair of boys would do well with Londo and Lenir... he's killing me. 4 is way to many, but his heart is in the right place. I was thinking.... maybe having Dean neutered and getting everyone to live together :)

Hoping to great labor and recovery for a healthy mom and babies! I'm betting Tuesday night, say 1:30am.

PitLuvs said:
lindsayfawn said:
PitLuvs said:
Jems71 said:

lol you two are funny

lol love your list Tanya

We'll see how travels go, but any two boys who are not spoken for can come here with us, everyone else can have first pick. But I would love an agouti, I havent seen one in ages. I was thinking most would be agouti berk/hooded, pew or maybe smeeze?

Joe is saying since G'Kar is having a rough go with his CHF, maybe a pair of boys would do well with Londo and Lenir... he's killing me. 4 is way to many, but his heart is in the right place. I was thinking.... maybe having Dean neutered and getting everyone to live together :)

Hoping to great labor and recovery for a healthy mom and babies! I'm betting Tuesday night, say 1:30am.

Oh no 4 is too many? Crap...I was thinking I ONLY have 9...and 2 to 4 more would be good.. :giggle:
I don't care about colors or ears either but blues are so pretty and dumbos are just so darned cute and goofy looking... :lol2:
and though a cpl more boys would cost me a small price to start because of neuters I would love a cpl more boys...they are different that girls...and our 2 boys now might like to have a cpl more dudes to hang with.
BUT the main thing is little Belle has a safe delivery and healthy babies, I too would be willing to take one a cpl that do not find a home, easier to convince hubby about "charlie brown" things, that no one else wants... :giggle:

LOL 4 more is too many for us, considering we have 8, that would be 12 and with the possibility of loosing 2 of our sick boys then it would be 10... 10's too many.

I am the one who said 2 is my limit, then 4, then 7.... you see my issue right? :giggle:

PitLuvs said:
LOL 4 more is too many for us, considering we have 8, that would be 12 and with the possibility of loosing 2 of our sick boys then it would be 10... 10's too many.

I am the one who said 2 is my limit, then 4, then 7.... you see my issue right? :giggle:

Oh 4 more...read it as 4 was too many!
yes I have been there...started with two baby nekkies...then got two more older girls from Twitch...lost the oldest one, then rescued 2 babies a baby boy and girl...but because they were too young to intro to older rats but needed to be separated they each got a new baby friend so another boy and girl...so in a month we went from 4 to 3 then up to 7... at this point I needed a bigger cage so once the boys neuters were completed they could move in...got a great deal on a dbl CN delivered from NS to NB plus an additional rat cage (enough room for 2), but only if I would take their 2 girls and give them a good home...so what the heck we took two more...then we were at 9...shortly after this there were 2 babies in need, got them...up again to 11...then lost 2 back to back recently so now we are at 9...13 is my "favorite" / "lucky" number and I am told a Dbl CN can hold 15 so I think I can fit 4 more...and make it my number 13.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Lindsay! cannot wait for these babies! and I want at least 2...oh and if your momma needs any ensure I got lots!

When I adopted a few girls, one was pregnant. I put her into her own cage to have the babies. When the babies were 3 weeks old, I put everybody into the big girls' cage (double critter nation). There were absolutely no problems from the other older girls in their acceptance of the babies - they were all young too. (They had an intro in the bathtub first to check reactions.) Of course, two weeks later the boys got separated...

Back