moxidectin for mites?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangishPinkishBlue

Hey everyone- long time no chat. I wont go into details but I have about 17 ratties now and did something stupid. I didn't freeze branches I gave them.

Guess who now has 17 rats... With mites.

So I was reading and found moxidectin? One dose vs 3 doses by iver that MAYBE works?

Has anyone used moxidectin? Orally or topically?

You can't get revo here without a prescription and for 17 rats I'd need 4 tubes and that's 70 bucks and just completely out of the question if there's another option.

I am reading about it now, it appears its better suited to treating internal parasites and I can't find anything that says it's safe for rats- it shows up in a list of poisons for cats and dogs (an overdose)

I'd ask a vet and do a lot of research
where did you hear it was ok to use?

OK well I don't trust anything that Debbie D has to say,

but even on her page it says that "Revolution also works for tropical rat mites. Ivermectin does not, and moxidectin does not." so unless you know for sure what kind of mites you've got, the moxidectin may not work
I only see her mentioning using moxidectin for mange mites, not fur mites.... but my vision is poor so perhaps I missed it?? can you copy and paste where she says she used moxidectin etc?

in that first pubmed link, they are treating mice, not rats; same thing in the second link - they are treating the mouse for a specific type of fur mite.
there are several kinds of mites that infect rats, how do you know which ones they have and if this stuff will work on them?

Mostly I'd be very afraid of poisoning them. I'd want to know if this is in use or just being studied. No amount of savings would make me risk my rat's lives.

what does your vet say about it?

Last edited:
OK well I don't trust anything that Debbie D has to say, and in that first pubmed link, they are treating mice, not rats; same thing in the second link - they are treating the mouse for a specific type of fur mite.
there are several kinds of mites that infect rats, how do you know which ones they have and if this stuff will work on them?

Mostly I'd be very afraid of poisoning them. I'd want to know if this is in use or just being studied. No amount of savings would make me risk my rat's lives.

what does your vet say about it?

Lol I've heard that quite a bit about Debbie- I decided to go with iver. Its been used thousands of times and a few doses of iver to get rid of mites is worth my time vs. a one time dose of something that's not been tested on ratties (I thought the first links were mice + rats. But it was rat mites on mice. Oi confusion!)

annnd the vet thing:
The only exotics vet in our area closed down, now the closest is an hour away and when I asked him about neutering a male guinea pig he said that the females would kill it :I So I don't trust him very much lol

So yes I just ordered iver 1.87% instead

oh geez, I wouldn't trust that vet either omg lol

I hope your ratties get rid of their mites fast!! no matter how careful we are, sometimes the things manage to slip in :/

oh geez, I wouldn't trust that vet either omg lol

I hope your ratties get rid of their mites fast!! no matter how careful we are, sometimes the things manage to slip in :/

Tyty!

Ahhgosh it's so rude! I was so excited to get free apple branches that it just slipped my mind.

Also question- is ivermectin given orally or topically?
I've never dealt with it before :(

I believe people give it orally.

Most of us give revolution to treat mites .... one dose lasts for 30 days and is usually enough if everyone is treated, things are washed etc

I've never used ivermectin, I prefer Revolution but I never have more than 7 or 8 rats at most.
I believe it's given orally and its a very tiny amnt, I'm sure someone here will know how to dose it

you can also try doing a search of the medical section to see if there are posts on it ;-)

Back