moving... what to do?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moon said:
So you'll have to excuse me for being amazed at your original assertion that the cage be a loaner when you are talking about giving up your rats permanently.
through PM, I talked with Sharlee, and she's ok with giving back the cage + my two rats if/when I come back. I understand it's a very unfair thing for me to do, asking people to pretty much 'babysit' my rats indefinitely--but yes, that would be what I'm asking for here, best case scenario.

if I get the cage back, I would take the rats back. as long as they are caring for my rats, they can have the cage. and, really, if I came back one day after all my original rats had died, I wouldn't immediately ask for the cage back. it's enough that I know it's MY cage, and I can ask for it back whenever. if it's being put to better use somewhere else temporarily (be that as long as 2 years or 5 years, or whatever), by all means.

and for your other question regarding vet bills, even if I permanently gave away my rats, I would still consider them MY rats in some sense, and if they fell sick and needed expensive vet care, I would happily pitch in.

I have no quibble with anyone here, and I didn't mean to come across so defensive in my last post either. I know I come here for good solid advice, and not warm pats on the shoulder. so perhaps I won't always walk away feeling great, but I'll know I got the best advice. ;)

Dazzle87 said:
IMO this has stayed civil. But anyway, most rescues ask for the cage for a reason (many absolutely require it), it is expensive to house rats! A rescue is doing a huge favor for you, taking your pets and paying for them, caring for them, finding homes for them, etc. The cage is one small way to help out.

The part that I found "attacking" was how everyone is making it seem like there's only one option that is right and all others are wrong. Example, the statement: "A forever home that is going to split siblings doesn't trump going into a rescue together." In my opinion. I think a forever home for 3 is better than 5 going into a rescue where the person who runs it already has enough to deal with on their own..

Also like Sharlee said, if Lily wanted, she could take all 5, she was under the assumption that Milky HAD to go back to Chelle.

jenniferkelley said:
I think a forever home for 3 is better than 5 going into a rescue where the person who runs it already has enough to deal with on their own..

I don't mean this to be rude but who are you to judge whether or not CCH has enough to deal with? Chelle wouldn't have offered to take all 5 in if she in any way thought that they wouldn't receive amazing care.

Also Sharlees stated in one of her first posts that 17 rats (meaning her taking all 5) would be too much for her so I'm confused as to what has changed.

Sharlees rattakisses said:
I would take them all but 17 ratties are too much for me to handle.

smilez_n_hugs said:
jenniferkelley said:
I think a forever home for 3 is better than 5 going into a rescue where the person who runs it already has enough to deal with on their own..

I don't mean this to be rude but who are you to judge whether or not CCH has enough to deal with? Chelle wouldn't have offered to take all 5 in if she in any way thought that they wouldn't receive amazing care.

Also Sharlees stated in one of her first posts that 17 rats (meaning her taking all 5) would be too much for her so I'm confused as to what has changed.

[quote="Sharlees rattakisses":i5is2u4k]
[/quote:i5is2u4k]

What has changed is my mind which I am free to do.
I had a long talk with my daughter Holly and she and I agreed that she will have to pitch in and help.

smilez_n_hugs said:
jenniferkelley said:

[quote="Sharlees rattakisses":s34t3upm]
[/quote:s34t3upm]

I thought Chelle had enough to deal with considering she already has TONS of animals, plus I saw her say on facebook last week how she couldn't rescue one bunny that day because of finances? She was talking about how people were getting mad at her for it, and she backed herself up with "But I can't take it in because we don't have the finances to do so." so I didn't see it fair on her part to take in all five when she is already tight on money, when Sharlee can take all five. It's sort of doing Chelle a favor. :) I know how money is when its tight, and if I was in the situation and I was tight on money I would be glad that Sharlee could take care of them. You said: "Chelle wouldn't have offered to take all 5 in if she in any way thought that they wouldn't receive amazing care." But I don't know where that came from? I never once said that they wouldn't be in amazing care. I just noticed that Sharlee could take them and that would be amazing, since she did raise some of them as babies..

I could not afford a cage for the bunny, however that was worked out, we got the "okay" by our financial advisor, and our treasurer, and we did end up rescuing the seven rats any the bunny. People were getting mad at me for something else entirely (if you must know, I turned down an adopter because of cage size and food too high in protein, and they got pissed off).

In any case, I do not need this much drama in my life. I offered to take in all five rats and I only asked for the cage to make things easier, I didn't need it. Plus I offered to return ALL of Lily's rats AND cage whenever she got back.

But this is turned into too much drama and people assuming things about me (like what I can and can't handle/do) that they shouldn't, and I frankly don't need that crap right now. So I will respectfully bow out of my offer and this conversation and let everyone else sort things out.

My point was that it isn't for you to say what CCH can handle regardless of what happened last week (although all the animals mentioned are now safely in CCH's care).

Edit: Chelle beat me to it and said it better.

Sorry, one more thing, because I realize now that people might assume I'm hoarding rats with all these rats in my apartment and using the rescue as a guise for hoarding - A good 75% of our rats are in foster homes, getting one-on-one time with their foster people. So there's lots of room here.

I was stating MY opinion, which is what all of you have done, so why can't I? And for you to say this has all caused drama. I don't see how? Also you took what I said completely wrong again. I don't know how my words got twisted around again and again, but I'll clarify: I was stating that it was a very nice gesture for Sharlee to be able to take in all 5 rats, since I thought Chelle had a lot on her hands and to me the way I was looking at it was if she was having some problems, that this would be saving her money and time. THIS WAS MY OPINION.

I understand that. Everyone has opinions, and everyone has a chance to state them. Totally fine. My opinion is that I don't needed the added stress of explaining myself, my situation, my finances, etc. to anyone, and if Lily decides she's okay splitting up the family, that's fine by me because I no longer am taking them in.

I really am sorry that this has turned out like this.
I admire what you and your rescue have done and will continue to do.
Does Lily know that your not going to take them?
I doubt she had any idea this thread would cause this much turmoil.

This thread is not about chelle's rescue. It's about rehoming rats and doing what's best for them.
I have no doubt that they would be very well cared for at chelle's or at sharlees. In my opinion, Sharlees is the better home because this leaves chelle open for others who truly need her. I do also hope that chelle will allow Milky to move in with the colony at Sharlees. That, would be best case scenario. When you think about it, a blessing... Milky finds yet another awesome home, the colony stays together because really, that is the family.

I'm sorry you feel that way Chelle, I don't know anything about whatever drama happened last week, but if you felt I was questioning your abilities I only did because yours is a rescue, and I was making sure it wouldn't be too much of a hassle for you. I mean, it's your job to rescue rats, not your hobby; and as Jorats said, it would be nice to leave you more open for others who need you more. I don't think anyone thought you were hoarding rats, I know you work hard to find great homes for all of them!

if you are no longer offering to take them in, does that mean you'd be OK with Milky going with the group? (anyway, by that time Milky and Strider may not even be alive, but I'd still like to make sure just in case)

again, apologies your kind offer has turned out like this.

jorats said:
This thread is not about chelle's rescue. It's about rehoming rats and doing what's best for them.

First of all, if you look at my original post, I was stating my opinion that I found this thread a bit attacking and to remind everyone that this is Lily's decision. Someone pointed out that they didn't see it, so I explained what I meant. And then, someone rudely said "Who are you to question Chelle's ability?" or something along those lines. Well first of all, I'M A MEMBER ON THE FORUM, JUST LIKE YOU. Everyone has their opinions. And clearly you took mine the wrong way.

I was never making the thread into Chelle's rescue, trust me, thats the last thing I want to do. I was very clearly stating that I thought Chelle had ALOT to handle already, I know that she had lots to take care of, so the way I saw it, was that Sharlee was doing her a favor by taking all 5. I was never bashing anyone, and Chelle wasn't forced to explain her "situation", she decided to do so. These two statements from Jo and Lily are exactly what I was TRYING TO SAY, but you guys picked and judged me way to quick: "Sharlees is the better home because this leaves chelle open for others who truly need her." and "yours is a rescue, and I was making sure it wouldn't be too much of a hassle for you. I mean, it's your job to rescue rats, not your hobby;"

Threads are made to get peoples opinions ..no one said anything wrong ..not sharlee,not jenniferkelly,not chelle, not moon ..not Sketchi ..everyone just started their opinions!

Time to move on with it. Sketchi got lots of advice(which she was looking for) ..she was not looking for people bickering at each other.

This situation is already hard enough ..I'm sure dose not need anymore stress..IMO if people want to bicker ..to it over PM
s and not in front of everyone to see!

Back