moving... what to do?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sketchi

there's a very good chance I'll be moving to hong kong next year, for employment reasons. I've briefly looked into bringing pets back, and it looks like you need to purchase a permit (which is fine, doesn't cost much more than a standard vet visit!), but I'm worried about them getting there *safely*. has anyone had experience with flying rats? I don't think they'd be allowed on the same plane as me, instead boarded with other small mammals/reptiles on a cargo plane. it's a 16-hour ride, and the temperatures might not be consistent. I've heard about a women who had her two prize-winning dogs freeze to death riding that way, and if they don't even care much about dogs what about the smaller critters! ):

I'm just wondering what the best thing to do is. should I try to find them good owners here (I COULD leave them with my family, but I reeeally don't trust them to take care of my rats properly. food and water and cleaning sure, but no extra affections), or would that be impossible for a group of 5 rats (even if they're very cute and know tricks? blah)?

I hadn't anticipated going to hong kong so soon, or I wouldn't have adopted my 3 new baby rats. my 2 older ones are age two+ and age three+, so there's a chance they might even be gone when I need to leave, but my 3 baby rats still have many years of life left! I REALLY want to bring them back with me, but I also would be devastated if they died in-flight. any experience? advice? :( thanks in advance.

I would rehome them is you will truely be moving. The chances of them surviving a flight that long are slim and none. It is best to find them a new home.

First things first, check the requirements of any airline you could possibly take. You may be surprised and find one with better protocols for animals. You could also look at some of the companies that specialize in moving pets and see what they can offer. You'd likely pay an arm and a leg though.

Animals are flown all the time and come through it fine. I personally would not do it unless I absolutely had to, but I like roadtrips and have no intentions of moving abroad.

That said, what about when you get them to Hong Kong? As far as I know, they're even less of a popular pet there, and I'd be worried about finding a vet and proper food. Chances would be good of them getting sick on route because of the stress, and that wouldn't leave you much time to find a vet who will treat them. Just a thought.

I think if you do decide to rehome, you need to do it sooner than later with the young ones. Babies will be adopted faster and you will have less chance of dealing with the last minute crunch. Also, if you adopted any of them from rescues, you need to contact the rescue as most will want the rat back.

Tough call!

Some planes allow animals in a carrier under the seat, if you couldget a flight that would allow that, it would be great.

But is their a good vet in Hong King?

Rehoming to really good homes would be in their best interests.
Air travel isn't necessarily safe, and it is very stressful for animals.
As others said, it may be difficult to impossible to find proper food and a good vet for them.

oh man... I didn't even think about the vet aspect. you're right, there's unlikely to be good vets for rats there. ugggh (I just googled 'pet rats in hong kong' to see if there was such a thing, and I think this thread answers my questions). that's also another reason I can't even leave them with my family here! they all think I'm ridiculous for taking my rats to the vets at all, and would never bother to do that if I weren't here.

I'm sooo torn. I'm not 100% sure I'm even going back yet, although it's a very high chance (67%?). finding homes for the young'uns definitely would take priority, as the old ones might pass by that time anyway. my best bet would be to find a home with someone on this forum, so perhaps I could get updates once in a while. :( I'll take videos of the little guys doing tricks, and some photos, and see if I can't get them a really good home.

awwww man this sucks.

I would post an add soon, to see if anyone can take them, so you know your options ..and if its someone on here, they may let them stay with you until its time to go!

Just a reminder - Milky must come back to me if you're rehoming them. However, I'd definitely be willing to take all of them to keep them together.

xxchelle said:
Just a reminder - Milky must come back to me if you're rehoming them. However, I'd definitely be willing to take all of them to keep them together.

Aww:heart:

xxchelle said:
thank you!! I was actually thinking of rehoming the babies first, and keeping the two older rats until the last possible minute. if they're still alive when the time comes, I would have definitely returned Milky to you. I really can't believe Milky is 3+, though, he's still bright as ever. if you would be willing to take them all, it would really mean a lot to me. I know they'd have good homes with you.

let me know what is convenient for you! I can hang on to them all until I have to go, or you can take the babies first to adjust. I just want the three babies to stay together as a group, as they're siblings and quite closely bonded. Milky is more human-bonded, and Strider is happy as long as he can boss some underlings around. Though, it'd certainly be nice if they could all stay together as a huge group! I'm still going to take videos and photos; if not for advertisement's sake, then for memory.

I can take them all whenever you're ready to say goodbye, basically. If you want to hang onto them all until you're sure you have to leave (that way you might get to spend Milky's last days with him) that's fine, but if you'd rather them all go together now, that's fine too. Just keep me updated on what you'd like to do.

thanks a lot chelle, that would be reeeally really awesome. I learned to drive, so this time I could drop them off if that makes things easier! I would appreciate keeping them as long as possible, thanks. ahh you're a lifesaver! thank you so much.

I was going to give you a monetary donation anyway, but I'll have to think about the CN. it holds a lot of memories for me. if anything, can I lend it to you for a year/however long I'm gone for? I would probably want it back when I return, though.

also my dad wants my rats now, for his other family (I have two younger half-siblings who expressed interest and a promise to be gentle!). but I asked if he'd take them to the vets when they get sick, and he said "haha no, that costs more than the rat itself!". so yeah, thanks but no thanks dad. ;P

I would take them but given that I am taking care of 12 they would be better off with xxchelle.
Holly REALLY wants Tofu back. :joy:
We would get him fixed and he would be in with his Mom and sisters.
Would that be okay?
She felt bad to have to let him go and she would love to be able to have him.
Let me know.
I would take them all but 17 ratties are too much for me to handle.

Sharlees rattakisses said:
I would take them but given that I am taking care of 12 they would be better off with xxchelle.
Holly REALLY wants Tofu back. :joy:
We would get him fixed and he would be in with his Mom and sisters.
Would that be okay?
She felt bad to have to let him go and she would love to be able to have him.
Let me know.
I would take them all but 17 ratties are too much for me to handle.

I'm not sure it's really fair to split up the siblings, especially since they've all known each other and have lived together for this long. If there were four siblings, I'd say take a pair, but I don't feel comfortable splitting up family like that (he won't know that the rats he's being put with are his sisters and mother, he'll just know they're "new" rats). Maybe I'm the only one with this opinion, though. If you want to take all three babies that's fine with me. But my home is offered up to all the rats so they can stay together as a group.

That's true, but Tofu would get integrated into the group just like Kenny did.
Kenny has only lived by himself and now he is quite happy with the girls.
It would take time but it can be done.
I don't think he will suffer because of it.
I will talk about this with my daughter and let you know.

I just don't see a point in taking a rat away from the group of rats he's known, to integrate to another group, when someone is offering to keep the group together. Again, maybe I'm the only person who feels this way, I don't know. I just wouldn't put any of my rats through that stress.

Your point is duly noted.
Are you going to keep them or find new homes for them?
You have every right for your opinion and I understand that.
Your way is NOT the only way.
I will leave the choice up to Lily as they are her rats.

I don't know what to do. :sad3: well, I have some questions for both of you, regardless.

chelle,
1) do you plan on adopting all 5 of them permanently, or just fostering them until you can find homes? if fostering, would you make sure to find them a home together?
2) would you be ok if I just 'loaned' you the CN, perhaps indefinitely, but perhaps only for a year or two--and if the rats are still alive when/if I return, would you be ok returning them to me (along with the CN)?

sharlee,
1) would he be with just his mom and sisters, or mom and sisters + kenny?
2) what if he just doesn't get along with someone? (how many females are there? I understand males and females generally get along, but I don't want him ganged-up against)

while I do think Tofu would be very happy (once he adjusted) in a group of females, I do wonder if the stress is worth it. :( though perhaps he can take it, he's pretty outgoing... if you'd asked for Poppy, on the other hand, I'd say no, haha. but Tofu... I really don't know, perhaps you'd be able to give him a lot of one-on-one time, I mean I saw how well-fed Milky was after a visit with you haha, so I'll really just... have to think about it.

Back