"Moving" rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaneliDesigns

So the [s:5idrrymb]roommate[/s:5idrrymb] boyfriend and I will be moving to a bigger place in April. Yay because more space for the giant rat cage! Boo because I'm afraid it's going to be a bit stressful for them.

Since their cage is GI-FREAKING-GANTIC, we'll more than likely have to collapse it and transport the two boys in something much smaller, like a small travel cage. But I want to know the least stressful way to get them from point A to point B. Should we move them and the cage FIRST in the moving, or last? I want them to have as little time in the travel cage as possible, obviously, but I want to know what we should put in there, how we should go about transporting them (in the backseat of the car? in a lap?) etc.

How far away are you moving?

I moved with my rats twice before. The first was to a place 20 miles away (although it was an hour drive in traffic), and the second was across the street. I've always preferred to bring my ratties over last, mostly because our moving method involves more time spent at the old place. Er, I've got too many rats (and hamsters) for them all to fit on my lap, so we'd strap them in the back seat. Less stressful for you though if you can manage on your lap - I was constantly twisting around in my seat to ensure no one tipped over and whatnot. Since both moving distances weren't that long, I just put in some bedding and a handful of treats. For a longer trip, you'd want to add a water source (cucumber works great).

As far as the drive goes, it really depends how far. I've never moved, but a vet trip is 30 minutes one direction, and the critters are fine in the travel carrier with a few snacks and a water bottle. It seems to me like getting the big cage all set up in the new place first would be best. That way while waiting to be transported the rats will at least be in a familiar place, and once in the new place they'll at least be familiar with their cage.

So we're all moved in now and I think the ratties were the least affected by it than anyone else in the house, lol! Put them all in a small pet carrier with a blanket and some snacks, packed up their cages, and went on our way. They're all set up in my sewing/craft room now, and I think they're really digging how sunny it is in there in the daytime. :)

Back