MOUTH BREATHING

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur

My boy is breathing through his mouth for about an hour now and there's no emergency vet I can take him (it's almost 4AM here). I've tried giving him chocolate -he ate a tiny piece but couldn't eat more - and stayed in the bathroom with the shower on and it didn't work. What can I do for him now?

Have you been able to get him to a vet yet? I find that holding them flat against your chest and petting them can help calm them a bit when they're scared and also giving their back or chest a slight massage could help stimulate regular breathing. I have read that it is easier to breathe when the air is cool and wet, so a humidifier might also help.

Have you been able to get him to a vet yet? I find that holding them flat against your chest and petting them can help calm them a bit when they're scared and also giving their back or chest a slight massage could help stimulate regular breathing. I have read that it is easier to breathe when the air is cool and wet, so a humidifier might also help.
He stopped doing it an hour ago, I'll take him to his vet today and see what can be done. He's been breathing like this for a few days now and I was already about to schedule some exams for him. Thank you for the help, I'll definitely try the massage if it happens again.

Poor little guy, hopefully you can get him meds soon. You can do coupage when he's in that state. Coupage is tapping the lungs, like burping a baby. It helps dislodge mucus in the lungs.

Thanks guys. He's doing much better now. The mouth breathing stopped last saturday and since then, he seems okay. Is it possible that it's just an issue related to the weather? The air is really dry this last few weeks and - coincidentally or not - he stopped doing the mouth breathing the same day it rained.

Back