Mouse Help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shhtephanie

Sooo, it seems as if I will be acquiring a little rescue mouse soon and that is one pet I have 0 experience with.
Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice/tips/cautions, etc. before I have him here.

I have a hamster cage to put him in, assuming that will be fine?
Also have a water bottle, a wheel, little house and figure I can just feed him harlan as well?
Can I use aspen shavings for him too?
Do they use hammocks or prefer to make a little nest in the house?
Anything I missed?

Just want to make sure I do this right!

Thanks in advance :mrgreen:

Your list is fine, just keep in mind they are escape artist so as long as the spacing on the bars is really small ie the hamster cage it should be fine.They love paper towels to shred.

My mouse man loooves his wheel, his cube hammocks, shredding foam, his little plastic house with paper towel to curl up in. I feed my little man Mazuri or Harlan as a staple and use aspen and Fresh4Life in the bottom. Boy mice have a very strong smell so you need more odor control.

Ok perfect...thanks!

Going to set up his cage now (I hope he won't mind that it's pink with all pink accessories) lol

I'm sure I will have more questions later on after I have him here :)

I feed my mice harlan, I give them shredded paper to nest with, a house, hammocks, a wheel, chew toys, small bird toys and I use Yesterday's News for their bedding
I also give them leafy greens every day.. they love them (unlike the rats who don't like greens)
Make sure the bar spacing of your cage is no bigger than 7mm or he will escape if he is a small mouse!

I would love to have some little mice...but I know nothing about them. Only thing I do know is they need very small bar spacing....they can squeeze out of anything.

Back