Mouse care?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kels

I rescued a mouse from Kijiji, and I need some advice.

I have a great set up for him, nice and big with a wheel, hiding spots, hammocks, chew blocks, hanging toys, cardboard boxes, etc. but I can't find consistent information on what to feed the little boy. I've read lots of conflicting information online, some say seed mixes but don't list the best brand, some say a block but don't list any kind of block or nutritional information.

I was thinking about mixing a seed mix with Hamster Extrusion, but then I have no clue if seed mixes are good for rats. I'm open to any advice anyone can give me! Thanks.

I used to feed HT 2014 and a high quality millet based bird seed, as well as some fresh veggies, healthy grains, etc. Mice have a weaker tolerance for high protein levels than rats so it's even more important to give them low protein but I have seen a lot of people say that their mice got too skinny or died on Oxbow Regal Rat so that doesn't seem to be a good diet for them. I wouldn't feed the seed mixes formulated for rats just because they're really high fat, protein, sugars, and at least some have artificial colours.

I was never able to find reliable information on exactly what their nutritional requirements were. It seems that different lines have very different nutritional requirements though, so unless you get your mice from a well established breeder that knows their lines well, it's a matter of finding the right food for your mice.

Back