Mother Nature has been busy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lina

Hi everyone, Have mostly been lucking over the last few months but lots has been happening so I thought I would share, For those that don't know I live in New Zealand at the bottom of the world :joy: It's a great place to be but mother nature has been unleased on my country over the last couple of weeks :(

10 days ago an 7.1 earthquake hit beautiful Christchurch the largest city in the South Island, (I live 6 hours drive south of Christchurch) It stuck an 4.35am and if it had been during the day people would have been killed, As it was only 2 people were badly injured and many others with minor injuries. My daughter was awake and felt it but hubby and I slept through it. Thousands of people have had their homes damaged, some beyond repair. I have aunts, uncles and cousins living there and one cousin still has no sewage and has a porta loo outside her house but she sleeps elsewhere as she can't send her kids out there in the middle of night to go to the toilet. So far $4billion in damages and 60,000 homes still be checked to make sure they are safe. Thousands still are staying with family and friends till they know about their homes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npqx3WmNkv4

This is footage of some of the damage, its the best I can find but its on face book so I guess you will need to log in to see it.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/vid ... 573&ref=mf

And this last weekend all over New Zealand a huge storm hit. The North Island has been stuck by floods and gales but us in the South have been covered by snow, the biggest dump in 50 years, Invercargill is the small city I live near too, and we have lost our wonderful indoor stadium by the weight of wet snow on its roof and a few other business as well have had their roofs collapse.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/ ... now-coming
The snow is mostly gone for the moment but more is forecasted over the next couple of days. The farmers have been stuck the hardest as they are in the middle of lambing and thousands of new born lambs have died and the clean up over the next few days will be heart breaking for them.

On a happier note, my son is getting married this coming weekend, ( I sure hope it warms up a bit ) His stag party on Saturday changed from Plan A to plan B to plan C as business closed as well as roads. His friends dressed him up in pink and gave him challenges to do, such as singing at the local supermarket and on the street dressed in his lovely pink. Lol. They ended up at our place and had a snowball fight across the road and then took the sleds and got permission to go on a friends farm to sled down some hills, they may do Plan A after the wedding and honeymoon which was to go paintball shooting.

SAM_0476.jpg

Back yard

SAM_0477.jpg

Front yard

SAM_0491.jpg

Jellybean after a while decided snow was fun

SAM_0499.jpg

Went for a walk when there was a break in the weather

SAM_0502.jpg

Stopped at my sisters place and got an action shot of my niece in just her Tshirt moving snow of the gutters

SAM_0509.jpg

My son the stag lol

SAM_0514.jpg

At least you could see him in the snow
:)

Oh my. Mother Nature decided to be not so nice to NZ. It must have been frightening... an earthquake at 7.1 is pretty intense.

And all that snow when it's suppose to be spring there. That must be such a downer.
OMG... your son. That is just too funny. He makes a handsome pink stag...lol

Not what I wanted to see this morning... only becuase my friends facebook status is we're getting a lot more snow than last year and I'm already worried about leaving town with the snow.

Gah!

Congratulations on the up coming marriage and the snow is a haunted reminder of whats to come here Blah!

I was hoping for snow before my bday (Thursday)... it happens probably 50% of the time... but we are stuck in the 90's! we've only had one cool day so far, and our fall usually starts at the beginning of September.

So, I was thinking... and most weddings here happen in like June, because the weather is nice... but in the southern hemisphere thats the middle of winter, so do most people get married in like January? do you have a phrase like "june bride". It just seems like the holidays would get in the way of trying to have a wedding that time of year... Everyone is running around getting ready for Christmas or what ever, and having a wedding then would just add to the stress.

handmeafish said:
I was hoping for snow before my bday (Thursday)... it happens probably 50% of the time... but we are stuck in the 90's! we've only had one cool day so far, and our fall usually starts at the beginning of September.

So, I was thinking... and most weddings here happen in like June, because the weather is nice... but in the southern hemisphere thats the middle of winter, so do most people get married in like January? do you have a phrase like "june bride". It just seems like the holidays would get in the way of trying to have a wedding that time of year... Everyone is running around getting ready for Christmas or what ever, and having a wedding then would just add to the stress.

We have lot of spring weddings Sept/Oct even though the weather can be dicey at this time of the year, We don't have terms like 'june bride' though there are plenty of winter weddings, my neice got married in Jan and it does make it very busy with Christmas and holidays on the go as well. :panic: Our best weather is usally in Feb/March and my daughter is planning to get married about then in 2012 :joy:

Woke up to hail and wind, the weather forecast is snow/hail/rain/wind till Friday, clearing Saturday, I sure hope so, I think I will be wearing a woolen singlet under my summer like dress :giggle:

You guys have really had it bad down there! I sure hope that you have a change of luck. I had always thought of NZ as a country with a calm temperate climate.... hah, shows how little I know.

Your son is a brave man to have walked around in that pink outfit! Hope that the wedding is a joyful day for all of you.

Godmother said:
You guys have really had it bad down there! I sure hope that you have a change of luck. I had always thought of NZ as a country with a calm temperate climate.... hah, shows how little I know.

well it is about 95% of the time, just every now and then we get extemes like now with a big dump of snow. Weather wasn't too bad today, It snowed in some areas but ous was clear apart from some hail/rain/wind.

It has been heartbreaking for the farmers starting to clear all the dead newborn lambs and the ewe's have been dieing as well. I have heard of framer friends, these men are tough and 'men don't cry' type men, crying over all the death they are dealing with and the animals they haven't been able to help. Some of these farms have oveer 3,000 sheep and thy couldn't save them all, Some paddocks they are only starting to be able to get to now because the snow was too deep before. :( The ewe's have been getting milk sickness and the vets have been running out of the meds needed to help, though they may have got more supplies in today, I haven't heard about that yet.

My goodness...

Well, it seems like a bad time to say it given your weather, but I really love the plant life and geography of your country!

I'm terribly sorry about the ewes and the little lambie-pies - my uncle and grandmother gave up their herd of cows a few years back, but I still remember the midnight trips to the barn to make sure a cow that was close to calving was okay, and if she'd had the calf, that the calf was fine - they'd go every couple of hours during the night, just to check. They tried to make sure all cows close were in the barn, but sometimes you can't predict it... I can only imagine how helpless they'd have felt if they'd been hit with as massive a storm as you got.

Back