Morgan - an aggressive rats' change in behavior

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamarat2

I haven't talked much about Morgan on here since I've gotten her.

I drove up to Ohio Dec 23rd to pick Morgan up, we had a bit of a rat transport set up for her. Ratlovingkippy was her former owner and Morgan was very aggressive so I offered to permanently rehome her with me. Morgan got as far as Dee's (OdysseyDesign) in Ohio and then I got her from there, long trip but worth it. I think 18 hours round trip driving and huge thank you to Dee in case I haven't said it enough for letting me pass out on the air mattress and a thank you to DebW (goosemoose) for the help in transport also.

Morgan came to me very aggressive and unpredictable. She hated hands and arms and skin in general, but really hands. Any chance she had she went for my hands. I've been to my doctor once for stuff and went to the ER once due to the bites, not bragging just the truth. Working with behaviorial rats is not fun but it pays off in the long run.

Morgan has been living in a martins R-680. Lots of toys, lots of stuff to do and although she does not like me much, she gets playtimes every day like everyone else. When Morgan has playtimes I can't always sit on the bed with her, so I have a comfy chair I sit in across from the bed and talk to her alot or just sit and read and be there in the room with her to get used to me.

I tried having Morgan have playtimes with my group of neutered boys and girls with the hopes she would eventually live with them. That has since been a no go due to every time blood is drawn by multiple parties.

My rat situation since Morgan came to live here has been the following:

Big cage: Stu, Luke, Merial, Chai, and Miles (2 females and 3 neutered boys)

Other cage: Stan and Larry - intact older brothers

Other cage: Morgan

Morgans' cage has always been across the room from everyone because she always seemed to be set off by them. Still can smell them and communicate across the room. We do her playtime first daily so the other smells are not as strong in the play area.

Fast forward to this past weekend. We had a vet appointment for Morgan and she has been acting SO GOOD SINCE!!!

Wracked my brain. Stacy suddenly asked me what had changed or I was doing differently. I was sitting there thinking about it when it dawned on me.

Stanley passed away last week. Larry passed away a few weeks ago. I scrubbed and thoroughly cleaned all of Stan's stuff this weekend and SCRUBBED the cage.

No intact rat boys currently live in my house.

I thought this would be a very good peice of information to share with everyone as I never really have seen such a difference. She is still slightly nippy, but its literally like someone threw a switch and turned the "trusting" rat on.

Sometimes flailing testosterone is too much for others to take!

Sounds like she's made a big swing in the right direction. Great news!

That is very interesting and great news for Morgan....oh and by the way tell Morgan I know how she feels when I have been in a room with males......sometimes all the testosterone gets to much for me to..... :lol:

I plan to keep updating here and seeing how her behavior progresses.

One other thing I forgot to mention is she has been greeting me at the door of her cage in the mornings, usually I give her a quick pet. Now she jumps out onto me and gets some rat rubbing for a few minutes. I have always said hi to them in the mornings, I know the coming out in the mornings is somewhat new, maybe she's just been nicer about it lately.

Slight update - After coming to the conclusion that we have no intact males in the house, I let Morgan play with the big herd last night. She was in heat, so a major plus, no biting last night.

We have a trio of girls coming to live with us tonight who will live in Stan's old cage so we shall see how this affects her.

papercrow said:
How's she adjusting to the new additions now that they have had a chance to get used to all of the new smells. Any names yet?

sssh papercrow.....we haven't officially intro'ed the new ones yet.....no names yet, working on it.....must charge camera battery tonight.

Morgan is doing fine! I had her out last night after you left for a bit and to be honest with you she seems really REALLY curious about them, in a good way :D I'm considering working on some major playtime intros while I am home this weekend.

I glad she is okay, i knew she wasn't all evil. What my vet said about her made me sick, i knew there had to be some reason she suddenly became aggressive. Thats why before she attacked my hand i had been trying to find her a female only home. I am glad you took her and gave her the chance she needed, she had a hard life even before me and when she attacked my hand i almost blame myself. I had a feeling it was the males but because i had only had her for a short period of time i had no real way of knowing. I asked if spaying would help and my vet said no.
I do not trust my vet anymore since she gave me those comments about morgan and rats in general. Once i find a new vet than you can talk to her, I am already uneasy when talking to her, but she did save shadow's life so i am very conflicted.

Sable has really improved since Morgan left, i find it easier to focuse on one nipper rather than two and i can have more one on one time.

I hope morgan behavior improves, I loved her but she just wasn't safe for me.

Kaytie

A slight update. Morgan is still doing well. She is now having daily playtimes with the big group and it is going well.

Also I can now touch her and pet her when she is sleeping in her pocket hamoock which was a major no-no before! She listens to me now also it seems a bit more, when I can see she is getting that glint in her eye I talk to her calmly and tell her no biting. She seems to calm down.

They all played together again tonight. Went pretty good. Morgan and Chai need to work it out, but that appears to be normal rat intro issues. I think he is of the mindset he is in charge and well they are getting some boxing exercise :roll: No biting though just verbal.

Today was a very exciting day for us here.....Morgan and the rest of my adult rats aka the herd, have been having playtimes together all week. While there was a scuffle here and there and a bit of boxing no one got hurt.

This morning I woke up and dumped Morgan. Chai. Stu, Miles, Luke, and Merial out on the bed to play so I could pull everything out of the big cage, scrub it down and then redecorate...or rather put liners in for cushioning the wrestling and lots of blankies to snuggle. Then after a nice solid 2 hours out the rats went back in....all 6 of the darlings, along with their late breakfast to munch on as a distraction.

After some exploring, a few vocal boxing matches and some other minor issues they all settled in for daytime naps. A few hours in I added the cleaned fresh hammocks back and some more blankies.....everyone is doing well!!! YAY!!!!

I expect to be kept awake tonight, as the first night is always full of lots of verbalzing between them all, but have high hopes!!!

:ratwave: :bananas:

This is most wonderful news!

Sometimes we have to find the right time for rat, the least amount of stress and it comes together so perfect. I'm so glad your Morgan is feeling happier and now has her very own buddies. :D

Yup, she is doing great!! I'll have to snap some pics this week. I caught her snuggling with Luke last night and then this morning snuggling with Chai, the Chai snuggle was a huge milestone as the two of them were the ones engaging in scuffles!

Later in the day I was looking for her and found her under a pile of three, Miles, Merial, and Morgan :D

Back