More on Rose *Update 3/11/09*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilratsy43

So I have been ultra busy lately, I just picked up a full time job on top of going to school full time. So when I'm not doing work I'm spending time with my ratties...Due this I have not been posting too much, just lurking mostly...

So here it goes, the other night when I got home from work I noticed a lot of blood in one of the ratties tubes. Yes it was blood, there was WAY too much for it to be porphryin. But I could not find the culprit.

Rose has been acting slower lately but it wasn't very concerning until last night. Now she walks very slow, is unsure of ramps or climbing for that matter and just over all seems a bit off. Appearance wise she seems fine, maybe a bit thinner then normal but again nothing too crazy. Could this be the beginnings of PT? Last night she climbed into her food bowl and decided she didn't want to eat, so she slept with me last night and did not move from where I placed her, totally not like Rose. I should mention she is the manx rat I have, but before now she acted like any other rat. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going on?

Also Willie is starting to develop a lump on her neck. It's round and kinda hard but doesn't seem to be attached to anything. Could it be a tumor? I mean she is really young, like not even 3 months...I am hoping this is an abcess, is there anyway to figure that out?

Any input welcome! I'm hoping to get Rose into see the vet in the next few days...

Also Willie is starting to develop a lump on her neck. It's round and kinda hard but doesn't seem to be attached to anything. Could it be a tumor? I mean she is really young, like not even 3 months...I am hoping this is an abcess, is there anyway to figure that out?

Usually there's a scab for an abcess, but not always. When Willow had her abcess there was not scab and we had to take her to the vet to get it lanced. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

As for Rose I dunno...I'm sure some of the other members may be able to help with answers to that question. I hope it's not PT. Worst thing to watch a rattie go through in my opinion.

The young one could have an abscess, maybe that's where the blood came from, a scratch on the neck and then an abscess would develop.
As for Rose, it could very well be PT but can't say for sure at this point. Could have have a bladder infection? Is she peeing blood? That could cause her to be off her game. It's quite painful and this would take away her appetite.
One thing I've noticed with PT, most times rats are ravenous.

Jo, Rose is seperated from all the other rats...I did put Cotton in with her for comfort. I have checked privates and nothing leads me to believe she is bleeding from there, but she is currently on a white towel, so it will be easy to tell if she is bleeding. I plan to get her a vet appt first thing tomorrow, I hope they can get me in...I am thinking about bring Willie along as well.

Its weird though, I can tell Rose is in pain and not acting like her self but on the outside, you would never know....

If it is the beginning of PT, there's really no pain there, I'm almost 100% certain... it's just a change in behavior, lots of confusion at the beginning... Keeping my fingers crossed for your sweetie.

Ok so here is a Video I got of her today, try to ignore the poops the cage is really tiny and she was only in there for 2 days...We have a vet appt today!!!

Ok so we just got back from the vet. I brought both Rose and Willie, but I only made an appt. for Rosey. He seem to think its her uterus, he gave me meds but he wants to know how she is by Monday because if she is not doing well she will have to be spayed...So I guess we figured out where the blood came from!!!

He took a look at Willie and said her abcess needed to be expressed, I told him I wasn't going to get into that today...I just wanted to confirm what I thought was wrong with her, not to mention the fact that I could have probably treated her at home. Well he was like "Since your already trying to get free vet visits from me, I will just drain this abcess." I mean technically I should have been charged a visit for each rat he looked at...but he only charged me for Rose, he didn't even charge me for Willie at all!!!

Needless to say, I love my vet!!! He is a great guy. He's prices are a bit high but he is always doing things for free for me at least. He is not perfect (Sometimes he trys to pick them up by their tail, then I yell at him and take the rat away) but he definately knows what he is talking about when it comes to the medical aspect of ratties.

I hope the meds will work on Rose.
Your vet sounds like a fun guy... he needs to learn some but he's right on track. You'll whip him into a good rat vet in no time.

Oh Jo, he is a great guy. He is always making fun of me (of course about the rats), he tells me 'life stories', and gets me laughing...its an absolute joy to go to the vets (well except for the sick rattie part)...

Just an update,

Rose is doing much better as of today. I haven't updated in a couple of days because there was no improvement in the beginning, but yesterday she started to appear more active and today she is much more like herself. She still has porphyrin on her feet and mouth but her activity level has definately gone up.

I decided to schedule a follow up appt anyway just to make sure she is doing better!!

But...:happydance: :joy: :happydance: :joy: :happydance:

Back