Moody gets a new toy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryelle

My Parakeet Spit is mid moult and BOY is he angry (he gets pissed when his head feathers come in). Hes at the stage where if you go near him he will try to destroy you. I have to be fast when changing his food and water because he will try take a few chunks out of my fingers and hand. He was spending his whole day attacking his favourite toy (its his love thing, he feeds it), and attacking his cage bars and water bowl. The only thing i can do when he gets like this is drag him upstairs for a shower. Makes him happy for a while, i think it relieves the itch.

I went to the pound store (£1) a couple of weeks ago and picked up loads of dog stuff to keep the rats entertained. Well i also bought these little trays. Patrick has two - one in the bottom he sleeps in and another he pee's in ><. I have 3 left, and can't decide if or how Sid will benefit from one. So, i thought id give the Parakeet, Spit, one aswell. He always throws his toys on the floor of the cage and poops on them. So i made a mini toy holder ^^

Pics:
First off this is how is moult is at the minute:
2009_0612Spitnewtoy0007.jpg

His head (spikey hedgehog ^^)
2009_0612Spitnewtoy0008.jpg

His new tray - His new toy:
2009_0612Spitnewtoy0015.jpg

2009_0612Spitnewtoy0018.jpg

2009_0612Spitnewtoy0025.jpg

After approximately 2 minutes of putting the balls in:
2009_0612Spitnewtoy0027.jpg

Yes Spit, the toys are on the floor :doh:

I don't know if he can see his reflection in it, or if it is just his obsession with things that are like boxes. He has spent his WHOLE morning like this:
2009_0612Spitnewtoy0012.jpg

Talking to something in the tray lol. He says Hello and kisses it.

It makes sense when you see the last time he came in contact with a box (it was my old baby rat carrier)
P6050012.jpg

He spent HOURS in there.. I did not put him in there lol and the lid was never closed (thats just cruel)

So Moody Spit seems a lot happier today :D

He's gorgeous!! Did his new tray put him in a better mood? I've always wanted a big bird but I know I don't have the time they need right now with all the rats.

Yes :) He is 'talking' to me again - whistling and not screaming lol.
Yea, it is hard to juggle 3 out times at the minute. I have to keep all the animals away from each other aswell. Patrick tries to climb the parrot cage, the parrot likes the blue bars on Patricks cage, and got his toe's nipped by Sid the other day (hes too curious for his own good) when he climed all over Sids cage, Patrick tortures Sid and Sid gets insanely stressed when he see's Patrick. Its like musical animals at the mo lol. I take one back to their cage after out time and have to set up and get the next one out.

Spit isn't tamed, so he needs training every single day to keep him sweet. He may not be big in size - like a cockatoo or a macaw - and he may not mimic ("talk") as well as they, or learn as fast, but he needs just as much stimulation as they do and he is just as intelligent >< lol

It's not a good thing some times lol - but we are better 'friends' now than we were before so training is a little easier (building up a nice trust with him). He is also sexually mature now, so hormones and the fact that he is now an adult bird make it all the more difficult haha (i never seem to make life easier for myself HAHA)

Back