Monorchid boys & spaying lactating female?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littledevils

Well aren't you in for a treat today with unusual questions...

Among the 5 baby boys we took in yesterday, 2 are monorchid (only one descended
testicle)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlemisc ... 1576193657\
86061/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlemisc ... 1576193657\
86061/

Does anybody know if these boys should be neutered? Or any other concerns?

Second question....

As you know we are involved in a rescue with over 100 rats. In the last 8 days
we managed to get 55 rats out, another group took some and he gave some away but
there are still at least 3 litters left.

Anyway, last night we took in 2 lactating females and what we assume their 10
babies. They were together so we don't actually know which baby belongs to which
mom and the babies appear to be the same age.

Now in an ideal world we wouldn't have to think about it but sadly this is NOT
an ideal world....

We are considering to only have one mom raise the babies... there are 10 so
doable... and have the other mom spayed as they might very well be pregnant
again.

Has anybody done this yet? Can it be done???

Like I said, in an ideal world we wouldn't have to consider it but we have 100
animals in rescue now with at least 30 more needing to come in... so we just
can't have any more babies!

We will discuss both issues with our vet but I figured somebody here might have an idea?

Hmm, could the vet be able to feel and figure out where the other testicle is? Im sure they would be able to neuter, they would just have to try find the other...
Ive seen it done with dogs but obv not with rats. I think the vet would just have to figure out where it is haha.

Does a neuter have to involve removing the teste's? Or would 'tying the tubes' work.. (i obv have no idea what i am talking about.. just throwing ideas around)

As for the females, no idea

Godmother and I had two boys several years ago (Noah and Adam) that each had one undecended testicle. We had the boys neutered.
A vet advised that a neuter would be a good idea as there might be future health problems associated with an undecended testicle ... possible future cancer was mentioned.

SQ said:
Godmother and I had two boys several years ago (Noah and Adam) that each had one undecended testicle. We had the boys neutered.
A vet advised that a neuter would be a good idea as there might be future health problems associated with an undecended testicle ... possible future cancer was mentioned.

Yeah that's exactly why we ask.... poss. future cancer.

We finally got a hold of our vet... the boys will be "tutored" in a couple of weeks and we are having one of the girls spayed on Wednesday.

Thanks for your input!

Back