monkey sick,losing weight fast!Updated!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
baby cereal wil help sick ratties too.
Also Harlan or extrusian blocks disolved into water to make a mush, with a drop of olive oil added.

ok perfect my hubby is out to get some ensure anyways lol

yeah monkey his lips are blue tiny and feet i read it somewhere what it is but cant remember. i only have chol palm on hand right now and going to make another app next week for him.

If he is blue, then he isn't getting enough oxygen!!!!!

He needs to be put on meds asap such as antibiotics and may need to go into an oxygen tank in order to give the meds long enough to make a difference.
He is likely losing weight because he is trying to breath and eating interfers with breathing.

Does he have a respir infection?
Does he sound conjested when you hold him up to your ear.

What are his symptoms?
He may have a respir infection ... if so I suggest baytril + clavamox, baytril + doxy or baytril + zithromycin. If one combo doesn't help, try another.
If he has fluid in his lungs then he may need lasix to help remove the fluid.
A bronchodialator may help him breath if it is a respir. problem.
If antibiotics don't help enough, then he may have a heart problem and will need to be put on heart meds.

he did have a res infect when he was younger it did go away right now he does not have a sound but is breathing fast a bit.

the only symptom i have seen was the blue but i did not notice it till like two three days ago and i did know it was something bad is why we went to the vet the first place and today he looks like hes smaller is why i saw hes weight is going. i spent the last of my vet fund this month and money will only be in end of the week or so. i will make the app anyways.im also going to print out what you wrote down for the new vet to see and read. also going to insist some of those meds.

lilspaz68 said:
blueness and cool extremities could also be CHF...start borrowing money for a real vet!

what's CHF? i have no one to borrow money :( no family no one. that's what sucks to be a true loner. and i know this is bad and i do have a vet fund its just its been spent this month but i will try and find some kind of money, i will prob go out and sell some of my stuff for it i have to. please do not think im bad because i have no money right now i did just months money has been spent.

For now... make him comfortable, keep him warm and hydrated. Try and keep him stress free.
I'm so sorry you are going through this with him. :(

lilangel said:
lilspaz68 said:
blueness and cool extremities could also be CHF...start borrowing money for a real vet!

what's CHF? i have no one to borrow money :( no family no one. that's what sucks to be a true loner. and i know this is bad and i do have a vet fund its just its been spent this month but i will try and find some kind of money, i will prob go out and sell some of my stuff for it i have to. please do not think im bad because i have no money right now i did just months money has been spent.

It's hard for most people right now, and we do what we can hun. If you can't borrow, than try and sell some things that aren't needed? old cages, sew some hammocks up real quick?

Good Luck, and i'm SO sorry, i'll be thinking of you.

thanks guys yeah i do not think he will go for long it seems so fast , i remember reading that rats try and hide illness till they can could that be what happening to monkey? i will try my best anyways keep him warm give him food and such try and keep him comfy, i may not post much because if he does try and pass i want to be with him thats my baby right there and i hate to not be there for him.

lilangel said:
thanks guys yeah i do not think he will go for long it seems so fast , i remember reading that rats try and hide illness till they can could that be what happening to monkey? i will try my best anyways keep him warm give him food and such try and keep him comfy, i may not post much because if he does try and pass i want to be with him thats my baby right there and i hate to not be there for him.

:hugs:

I think it's more likely to be CHF. Try giving him hawthorne extract. It can't hurt even if he has something else.

In Germany one of the most frequently prescribed treatments for heart conditions is the herb hawthorn (Crataegus orycantholdes). Germany, like many European countries, has a government agency called the Kommission E which produces official monographs guiding the safe prescription, usage and manufacture of herbal medicines. Amongst current monographs is one on hawthorn which states that it is useful for heart insufficiency by strengthening heart contractions, lowering blood pressure and lowering pulse rate, as well as improving physical work capacity and anaerobic capacity (the ability to continue functioning in low oxygen conditions). The berry from hawthorn is widely employed for arrhythmia (irregular heartbeats, palpitations), high blood pressure and hardening of the arteries.

Clinical and laboratory research findings abound that hawthorn may be beneficial in treating heart conditions, including arrhythmia, angina, atherosclerosis, high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol levels.

If it is conjestive heart failure, he will need to be put on a beta blocker such as atenolol (1mg/454.4g);
and an ACE inhibitor such as enalapril (0.25mg/454.4g twice a day) or benazepril (0.25mg/454.4g twice a day) or lisinopril (0.125 to 2 mg/454.4g twice a day)

If his heart is enlarged he will also need digoxin (0.0025mg/454.4g twice a day)

A bronchodialator may also help with breathing.

The meds usually buy them so good quality time for a short while or many months ... but eventually the meds don't give enough help and they have to be pts. I presently have 3 girls being treated for chf.

Hope he is soon feeling better.

ok i got a bit of money and tomorrow going to make an app and im going to be bring http://ratguide.com/health/cardiovascul ... ailure.php and http://ratguide.com/health/lower_respir ... umonia.php to the vet also.

right now though monkey went down real fast falling over and stuff i had to redo the cage so its low leveled and he can not fall far down. if he is too far gone i may have to think of PTS :sad3: so please wish me luck that he is not.

i forgot chocolate helps dark kind but all i had was aero chocolate bar here so i gave him a piece(thanks to pink for telling me about it)

Thinking about you and your little one. Try to keep your head high and your mind positive.

thanks guys. the earliest app i could get was tomorrow at 2pm :( i tried a lot of other vets half did not know about rats much so its very hard here. so my best thing is keep him comfy and try my best till tomorrow.

i would suggest the carling animal hospital, but it's very expensive...

hopefully everything turns out okay, and he feels better soon!

Back