mites

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raindrop

I know there are numerous posting on here about mites. Our Hallie has little cuts on her belly and a few bigger spots on the back of her neck. Is it safe to assume that the other rats are cleaning her and that is why the marks on the back of the neck. I have treated them all with ivermitin(one of three week dose) but only Hallie shows any signs of having the mites. Maybe the ivermitin is working for the rest but not Hallie ??? I am going to make a date with the vet today but would like to know what to suggest to him. Revolution, baytril etc.????

Ann

If you refer to some of the recent posts on mites, you can see pictures of what the scabs look like. Mites hang out around the face and shoulders, there would be several small scratches, and you would notice your rat itching like mad.

With scabs on her belly, I would assume that her cagemates are either playing roughly or are grooming her too roughly.

I agree with Kat, scratches on the belly is not usual with mites. Does she have a lot?
Usually the scabs are pinpricks and not cuts. I would assume that your little girl is roughhousing with a buddy. Any chance you can clip all the rats' nails?

Rats rarely need abs for surface skin issues, its only when they are deep cuts or wide open sores that it would be better to put them on abs.

I wouldn't worry too much.

When I first got Sophie, she was covered in huge scabs/cuts, some where fresh, some were old and healing. I later found out the people were letting their kittens play with the rats. :gaah:
I didn't put her on any meds and she healed up so beautifully.

Back