Mites

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

One of my rats has been getting bald spots all around his face. My others rats seem to be itching a lot too but have no bald spots yet. I suspect mites and went to order Revolution. Apparently they don't sell it here. Is there anything else I can use?

Revolution and Stronghold are brand names. They are both Selamectin.

I think Stronghold is sold in the UK and possibly Europe
Contact some vets about it because I believe Selamectin is sold in Europe, perhaps under a different brand name then Stronghold

Here is the link for information, dose, side effects etc http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/selamectin_revolution.php

all the best

Last edited:
Revolution and Stronghold are brand names. They are both Selamectin.

I think Stronghold is sold in the UK and possibly Europe
Contact some vets about it because I believe Selamectin is sold in Europe, perhaps under a different brand name then Stronghold

Here is the link for information, dose, side effects etc http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/selamectin_revolution.php

all the best
Thank you!!! I think we have stronghold here. Vets are closed today and tomorrow and I have a whole school week ahead so I think I will order some :)

Can you post pics of the bare patches? It's possible you are dealing with a case of barbering, or compulsive overgrooming instead. With ectoparasites you will see live buggies moving around (usually starting on the rump and back) which is lice, or scabs on neck,, shoukders, face which is mites.

Can you post pics of the bare patches? It's possible you are dealing with a case of barbering, or compulsive overgrooming instead. With ectoparasites you will see live buggies moving around (usually starting on the rump and back) which is lice, or scabs on neck,, shoukders, face which is mites.
I thought about this too, since he is a very, VERY, anxious/panicky rat. I chatted with you about him about a month ago, about him having violent seizures (luckily it hasn't happened for a while). I dont see any moving bugs nor scabs, just him missing fur around the face and eye on one side of his face. I thought it would be mites cuz I didn't think barbering would get that bad. I'll try to get a photo but he is very skittish.

Okay luckily he is sleeping inside this transparent plastic container ahah.
I could only get photos of the top of his head but the biggest missing patch of fur is located on that same side right behind his head following his ear line @lilspaz68

Attachments

• IMG_20190601_163847.jpg
    IMG_20190601_163847.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20190601_163855.jpg
    IMG_20190601_163855.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20190601_163920.jpg
    IMG_20190601_163920.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
That very much looks like someone is barbering him lol. Watch and see who seems to pin him down and groom him in that area.
This started happening when I put him in a separate one level small cage for a week with another rat, separating them both from the others. This happened cuz he got a couple violent seizures and really messed up his hands and nails so in order for him to heal was placed there. Do u think it could be the other rat I put with him that got bored or something?

Back