mites? + small abscess?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pscychopomp

Recently I noticed a couple of my rats with little scabs, mostly around the face and neck. The male I originally thought it was just from scuffles/power grooming with the other boys, and the female is the mother of babies that I put in with the other girls once in awhile to maintain their relationship, so I thought maybe it was from them power grooming her or something. I never saw or heard any of this go on and they were getting worse so I looked into it and I think they must have mites. Also last night I noticed mom rat has a scab on her 'lip' and there seems to be a small round bump under it - abscess? I think only 2 other rats have a couple little scabs, but these 2 have it the worst.

I have some ivermectin, but I'll have to find it to make sure it isn't expired. I assume I need to treat everyone? I know that the dose is the size of an uncooked piece of rice but does that go for males and females? What about the babies, they're 4.5 weeks.

About the abscess, I know a lot of people take care of those themselves...I've never had to deal with an abscess before, and it's a hard place to get at when she squirms (and probably a more sensitive area), any tips? :sick2:

ick mites are not as "nice" as lice. I prefer Revo by far for treating for buggies.

Treat all

Babies would get half the size at least but I think that ivermectin would be a bit too dangerous at this age.

How many babies are there and where do you live in Toronto?

Well I can't find the stuff so I will look into Revolution. There's 4 (the 3 girls are going to my friend this weekend though, she has no other rats), and I'm south of Dundas West station.

Okay, try getting revo like you said. :)

As for the abscess, those are scary, but there is so much about them on this forum- it's crazy. I've never had one, but I've seen so many insanely gross, gruesome pictures of them that I could recognize them in a heartbeat, lol.

When it starts getting ready to blow, or now, make a thread about it and post lots of pictures- people will flock and help you through everything.

EDIT: okay, sorry, I just reread your post. I think maybe you should give us a picture of the bump now- facial bumps/abscesses can get very dangerous, because they are so close to their teeth and face.

It looks more like it's right at the corner of her mouth actually. It's bigger today. To me it looks close to popping but I can't say for sure.

IMG_20130511_011146.jpg

IMG_20130511_010950.jpg

Yeah, it doesn't look that bad. And I don't think it should interfere with her teeth, unless it gets bigger.

But let someone else give you a second opinion. Like I said, I don't know much about these...

That looks more like a regular abscess from an external wound. Let me know if you cannot find the Revo and I will come over and treat your babies with some I have here.

Thanks :) I searched on here and I'll probably buy some online. I put her in with the other girls and I heard her protesting about something (she has a distinct squeek) and my first thought was I bet they are poking at her abscess. When I checked on her the scab was hanging by a bit so I dipped a cotton pad in diluted peroxide to wipe the area and take it off. I didn't see any puss but she was washing her face when I went over so if there was some she took care of it already. I took pictures of the scab, it was big and almost round...weird?

The whitish part was on the inside.
IMG_20130512_050745.jpg

IMG_20130512_050827.jpg

This is what it looked like after. It did look like there's something in it? I got some salt water prepared, a syringe, towel, cleaned the cage etc and by then it didn't look like there was any of that in it anymore. I cleaned it by squirting some salt water and diluted peroxide, it looked cleaned out except for a little bit of something but I think it's just flesh. (didn't get a pic of after)
IMG_20130512_051023.jpg

IMG_20130512_051247.jpg

So I know it has to heal from the inside, how do you keep it open?

flush with saline 2-3 times a day, until its healing up near the surface...should be quick for a shallow one like that.

So there was no foul smell, just a whitish waxy substance? Could've been a cyst instead.

Back