Mites/lice and weak

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishforwings

My rat has mites or lice and is weak compared to usual. He is 2 years old, but this is a new thing. He has a bad infestation of bugs. I bathed him and disinfected his cage. The next day I went to a pet store and they gave me mite/lice spray for birds. I used it on him, it did get rid of some of them, and he has mostly eggs coming off of him now. Some people have told me using the spray may not be a good idea?
I called around to all area vets, only one place treats rats, and they told me they had nothing to treat mites/lice in rats.
From what I read online, it seems like maybe the bugs are of the blood sucking variety and he is anemic from them? He has nothing else visibly wrong, and seems almost suprised when he can't make a normal jump. He is hating his cage for some reason too, I gave him lettuce inside his cage and he hardly touched it, I gave him it and some other stuff outside of his cage and he just sat there eating it until it was gone. Normally he would want to take the food to his cage.
Any ideas? Could he be weak because of this or is it likely something else? I'm going to use the spray again today(unless it is bad to use?) and get a new bag of bedding. I already got a new bag of food.

Do not use the spray.
Freeze all beeding for a couple of days before using.
Oral ivermectin can be given for lice - mix well before using, give size approx the same as 1 grain of rice once a week for 3 to 4 weeks. (I have never used it.)

Cat or kitten revolution can be used for mites and may kill lice as well. One treatment is good for 4 weeks. Dossage is 4 to 8 mg per Ib of your rat. Basically, it is a small drop on the back of the neck. You buy revolution from the vet.

Do not use both ivermectin and revolution during the same time period.

Lice/mites can definitely drain an older rat.
You can pick up Ivermectin horse wormer paste at your local farm/feed or equine store. Like SQ already mentioned, you would need to give a dose the size of a grain of rice, once a week for 3 to 4 weeks.
I find it odd that the vet said he had nothing to treat rats. Vets usually give ivermectin shots which can also be given topically or orally.
Ideally, I recommend the Revolution. It's a one time dosing, the puppy/kitten one, one drop topically.

He died today while I was at work :'( Curled up in his bed with his front paws clenched :(
This happened so quick..

The receptionist at the vets said she didn't think they had anything to treat mites or lice in rats, and went and asked the vet, and he said they did not. 5 vets in the area they were the only ones even willing to look at a rat. I tryed to get an appointment right away, but couldn't. Had a feeling he wouldn't make it long enough :(

I am very sorry :sad3:

Please get a digital postal scale that weighs accurately to one gram and weighs at least up to 1 kg (staples sells them).
Please purchase a copy of the rat health care book (see http://www.ratfanclub.org) It will give you info on symptoms, meds and the dosage of meds. I find it is a very valuable resource for both myself and my vet. Look things up in it, and take it with you when you go to the vets.
And keep asking questions here ... we are all learning, including our vets.

Please let your vet know that your rat died waiting .... rats get sick very very fast and need to get treated immediately. They can not wait like dogs and cats can.

If you know how much your rat weighs, you can pick up a tube of revolution from a vet and measure out the correct amount. People do this all the time with dogs and cats.

Back