mite Treatment

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unclerico

My rat has mites. So we did some research on treatments for mites so first we tried an olive oil bath once a week for eight weeks but the first time we tried it he hated it and scratched use trying to get away and afterwards he was scared and at first he wouldn’t take cheese from us so we decided we would not do it again. The good news is the mites went away for a little while but recently they just came back. From what I’ve read I’ve heard that the to main antibiotics that the give for mite treatment is either ivermectin or revolution but I’ve also heard the ivermectin is more toxic and less effective on mite treatment than revolution so I would really appreciate it if someone would answer my question on mite treatment and what is most effective and less toxic.

Last edited:
Kitten revolution prescribed by a vet with good knowledge of rats is highly recommended. Please refrain from buying over the counter medication for the mites as they could be toxic and end up poisoning them...

Kitten revolution is not a antibiotic, as it isn't killing bacteria. Kitten Revolution (Selamectin) is an external flea and tick killer-- essentially a pesticide suitable for our rats. Ivermectin can be very hard to dose and it take multiple weeks for it to be effective against the mites. Also, most ivermectin I've seen being sold for sale includes another -mectin thing, which is what can be toxic and harmful to rats. Kitten Revolution is a one and done sort of deal.

Make sure you are freezing, for at least 72 hours, your incoming bedding before you are putting it in the cage, and all fleece or fabric-esque things need to be washed, if they can be, before they go in the rat cage as well. These may be the things that are carrying the mites in.

Ivermectin was the standard treatment until Revolution came along and is hardly more toxic IF given correctly. You need to get the 1.87%
horse paste from a feed and grain store for $5. And that $5 giant syringe will last you forever even if you have a lot of rats at all times. You give an uncooked grain of rice sized amount 1X/week for 3 weeks, although with proper cage cleaning I only had to give it one time. Now...if you can afford to go to the vet to get a prescription of Revolution, then that is definitely the way to go. Both treatment's are toxic, but the selamectin is the lesser of the two. It's purely a personal decision, just don't let the catastrophists sway your decision. Ivermectin is totally safe even up to a double dosage, but I would certainly not recommend it. Just give them the recommended around in the recommended timeframe and you'll have mite-free rats in a few days, even though the instructions say to give it 1X/week for 3 weeks. I'm not sure of giving it to young rats, but I think it's best to NOT treat a rat younger than 6 months. Personally? I give it to my guys only once, and along with a 100% perfect cages clean out, they are fine. Mites are almost always due to unkempt, unclean living environments, i.e. - dirty cages and especially old dirty nesting materials, old cardboard boxes, soiled fleece, basic husbsndry, etc. ; along with rats with some sort of condition or health issue that keeps them from grooming themselves as well as they should. It could be due to a variety of things, so I won't elaborate, besides, my comments are long enough already, lol. So, go ahead, skip the vet visit, save yourself a big chunk of money, and treat ALL your rats and do a total cage overhaul. Everything washed or replaced, including the cage itself. And be careful of bedding materials, many of which harbour little hitchhikers that get a free ride right into your ratties nests. Ok, hope this comment helped.

Back