Mischevious girl misbehaving

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I have three girls.
One in particular is extremeley active and mischevious.
When I am home in the evenings, I like to bring their cage out to the living room where I watch TV, and have it open so they have direct access to come onto the couch with me.
I have a recliner 3 seater couch...and this 5-6 month old girl of mine likes to go straight INTO the couch,pull out all the fluff and refuses to come out when I go to get her out.
She doesnt come to her name. I have to DRAG/FORCE her out and its a real fight that im having every day, as inside the couch is now the only place she likes to spend her time.
Im worried shes gonna get hurt when Im trying to get her out. I dont know what to do. I dont want to keep her caged all the time...but when i give her free roam, she goes straight to inside the couch

Any tips or advice??

She's probably enjoying the dark cozy spot. I would make her a little cabin type thing on the couch, mimicking the interior of the couch. And also train her using high value treats and her name. Each time you say her name, you give her a treat.

I don't let my rats free roam until they come to me when I call their names. I will call their name before I get up to go to the cage to give them treats so they associate me calling them with getting treats. If they don't come when I call their name while they're out, usually crinkling the treat bag coerces them out.

You could create a safe play area using cloroplast panels and design it so the rats do not have access to the couch
I teach all my rats to come running to me why I call out the word treat. So whenever I give them anything they like I call out treat first before handing it to them ….. and of course they always get a healthy treat when they respond to the word

In the play area, she might enjoy a cardboard box with a hole/door in each of 2 sides, a hole in the top and filled with loosely crumples or ball paper ….. then she can build a nest inside of it etc. This is one of my ratties favorite toys

Back