Mini's Rescued Feeder Breeder pair, may need advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya very cute pictures! I've seen HopeFloat pick up biting rats by grabbing them gently from behind, wrapping the fingers under their arms and around the ribcage, this allows so no biting will occur and you can move her or meds her without little issues, though a struggle could happen, just gotta be firm and relaxed.

Eating in the litter box, LOL my boys do that too, my Gizmo even will hoard the food into the litterbox if he can't hoard it in the cube or triplex. I hate it when he hoards though because I can't tell if they ate all their food or just hid it away and I end up wasting more food because I don't know where it went! I've tried to get him to stop that, but he's a persistent little bugger, even with the advice of Jorats (PS. Sorry Jorats, he's a very stubborn brat lol, but as long as I know the others are eating I guess its ok).

I managed to get her out, quick grab, seems to be easier when I go for under her belly, but I did it sans face cloth so yay!! Scrubbed the cage down, etc, and weighed them all, gave them all a little wash themselves since someone went to the bathroom in the temp former nursery bin lol. Been giving Stewie baths every day that I can, and his scab came off in the one yesterday!!

The size of the scab (it was pretty big!)
IMG_2032.jpg

His neck now:
IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

Kimmy still likes to snuggle her hubby:
IMG_2047.jpg

So their weights are (last weighed the first 4 July 4, a bit over a month ago):
Minnie: 297g (+39g)
Mitzi: 312g (+28g)
Alice: 364g (+18g)
Honey: 506g (+40g)

Their last weights were their surgery which was July 19, just under a month ago:
Kimmy: 361g (she gained weight!! was 300g at the time of her e-spay)
Stewie: 637g (he gained as well, more so, he was 502g at the time of his neuter)

Are the weight gains ok? Are they within normal range? They all gained since their last weight, so I hope I am not over feeding them, I am especially worried about the already larger ones like Honey and Stewie....

They look good and Stewie should heal up just fine. With rats that have learned that biting keeps the Scary Hand away, I try to fignore that behaviour without being stupid about it. Offer the back of your hand to sniff. Tell her you are going to pick her up, and ask her. I would dothis by gently grasping the rat around the middle, but not picking up until they are still...most just hunker down and brace themselves for the scary lift eventually. I also find once you get past the biting part Trust begets trust.

Stewie looks like he's in the clear on his scab! My boys after their neuters had scabs similar to that in the surgery spots, but they'd groom that part and it'd eventually came off revealing healthier skin, so ya i think he'll be fine! As for the weight I can't be sure, I do know your big girl Honey looks a bit over weight though. I'm told rats can be like humans in their diet or metabolism, in that it depends on the rat and they may go through the food faster then others or something. I think the best way to help reduce the weight other then looking into another diet, is just to have more play time. I have two boys and they are big, not over weight but a little big. At one point I was worried they were gaining too much, I switched their diet from eggs and oatmeal to oxbow later on and their weight reduced, plus they have play time in the morning, afternoon and evening

So I noticed today that he has an area on his scrotum still. I knew it was still there a little, but today I had actually had luck taking a photo of it:

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

He almost looks like he only has one testicle now lol. Funny story though, I wanted my Stewie snuggles, and I saw a white ball up on the top level (I need a chair to get properly) so I reached in, without a chair to see if I could convince him to come down lower, he would not move, so I attempted to pick up, but then he moved over to the other side of the cage, and started to come down the ramp, and that was when I noticed that it was not him, but her!! LOL I thought Kimmy was Stewie, but at least she did not bite me eh? While we were having our snuggles, I found an itchy spot on his ear that he started licking and chewing my hand lol, I wish I could soon have Kimmy snuggles too :roll:

[BBvideo 450,375:1nlh1mio]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl9GP0e_MAY[/BBvideo:1nlh1mio]

He is such a happy boy, I wish he would teach Kimmy lol. My other girls are not getting neglected, do not worry, lol they are still getting their own scritches and treats, and photo shoots etc :giggle: but they do not really belong in my rescue rat thread so I will start a new one for them hehe

it's funny, i thought kimmy would be my heart rat, because of what she went through, and i could relate to her losing her baby(ies) lol, but I think you guys are right in saying it is Stewie......it chooses you not the other way around

So got some good news and some bad.....

Good news is: Kimmy is still coming to the door (like the others) when I open it for treats, and taking food from me without smelling my hand first.....

Bad news: I think the other girls have taught her to grab it though LOL. And last night I heard squeaking, that did not sound like Kimmy's normal protests however when I wet to investigate all I saw was Stewie and Honey squaring off, heads low, slowly moving so that their eye contact never broke, and he was puffy. I am hoping it is just a one time thing, perhaps he tried to mount her, and she refused "I am old enough to be your mother little boy! I am no cougar!" kind of thing lol.

So I plan to be getting some babies from the girl with 23 abandoned babies, they will be isolated at first until they get a bit older, but I have a feeling that given Kimmy's past, it might help sooth her, she might become like an adopted mother kind of thing (like they are her surrogate babies) but we will see right? lol

Back