Milo is biting the other boys now...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flailinggypsy

So I posted a while back about how Milo, who's now 10 months, and (usually)Haze, started getting into little squabbles that sounded awful, like they were killing each other. The closer I looked, I realized Haze was being a little dramatic and nobody was actually hurting each other. This past week however, he's started biting the other boys now. I first noticed a gash on Haze's boy parts, and then the next day, a gash on Koby's boy parts. Then, last night, I heard a commotion, went over to check on them and my poor little Haze was bleeding horribly from his finger, one of his nails hanging off. It looked worse than it actually was, but it was REALLY scary to see my poor boy bleeding so badly. Now the bleeding has stopped and it's not as bad as it looked, but the entire nail was torn off and I can't imagine the pain he's in. :( His poor little paw is clenched.

I know that separating ratties and putting them in a separate cage should be a last resort, but I feel afraid to have Milo in the cage with the other boys now. :( I think I may need to keep him in another cage until I can find a vet that will neuter him and afford it (this wont be for a month or two, I'm in school and very broke). He is a sweet boy and generally loves his brothers, but I can't keep letting him hurt the other boys... he could have really hurt Haze and I just finished intros with my new boy, Echo. He's only a couple months old, if even, Milo could really hurt him. Intros went well, super easy, even though I wasn't sure how Milo would react to a baby, he was great with him. He's never hurt Echo. Am I doing the right thing having him separated? I feel so bad for him, and I don't want him to get sick from being stressed out, but I also feel bad for poor little Haze, who's clearly in a lot of pain.

Is there anything I can do for Haze? I put cornstarch on his paw earlier and it's no longer bleeding, but like I said, his paw is clenched and he's clearly in pain. Is there anything a vet could actually do?

My boy John bit Jaggers testicles and it forced me to neuter Jagger because they were damaged and infection started to brew. If he is biting the testicles, I would remove him as well. Just because he means business getting them there.

It is very important to give him out time with the boys though. Make sure you get them out together. The one that is alone right now make sure he gets some extra lovings. It isnt ideal but those kind of bites are pretty serious so they need to be stopped.

For the nail they hurt when they get bit there. Is the nail off or still hanging there? You should invest in some infant ibuprofen for pain it will help them when they have minor injuries.

How big is the cage they live in? and how long have they lived together? Have you had any deaths recently? Some rats react horribly to any change in their dynamics.

Back