Mikey

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

I can't believe I am writing this. I can't... my heart hurts so much.

Tonight I went to go take the boys out for their nightly romp, and Mikey is gone. He had no wounds, no illness, nothing. He was just gone.

All I can say right now is "ow"...

Mikey was the sweetest rat I've ever had, hands down. He just wanted to be petted and loved, and would brux at the slightest touch or at the sound of my voice. He was... he was my heart. I don't know what we're supposed to do without him. My poor Denny... Ow. What am I supposed to do?

I am so sorry, Cait. What a terrible shock for you. He packed a lot of love into his short life; no wonder you will miss him.

How old was he?

Take care of yourself. Our thoughts are with you.

I am not sure. He was probably 3-4 months when I got him, that was in early December... Maybe 6 months old? Not an old boy at all.

I feel slightly better. My friend and I took his body and buried him by our favorite place to eat lunch, at the pond on campus. So he will always have the best view. :) Which is probably illegal... But there is a lot of rock work there, so we summoned some super human (sadness induced) strength and moved a few rocks over the grave. It took the better part of the midnight hour, but we did it. I was touched when my friend didn't complain, not once, even when we ended up digging with our hands and the ground was still partly frozen. Not one complaint, not one question, not anything. Just support and help. And I know that's because she loved Mikey too. And that made me realize, he was a very lucky boy to be as loved as he was. Not as lucky as we were to have him in our lives, but that is beside the point. He was loved, and that's what counts. He was loved, and I know he knew it.

It is awful when they leave us when they are old but to lose one so young....How terrible. I know you must be hurting terribly......I am so very sorry.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( It's very sweet you were able to bury him where you wanted to and your friend was willing to help. *hugs*

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate all of the kind words. Mikey was such a special boy, and I know he would also appreciate the compliments and kind words being said.

As if by fate I got an email about some boys who need a home around this area. I think, for Denny's sake if nothing else, we will be adopting one or two. He is just so... can rats get depressed? I've had him out with me as much as I can, but all he does is sleep and look around for Mikey. :/ Well and eats, but he's always been my eater.

This is why I should always have a trio... Poor Denny will be alone for a week at the least. :( But I'm having him out constantly and having him go with us when we run to Wal Mart or the Station. So hopefully it won't be too awful for him until he gets a rat brother. :?

It's a cycle no doubt. I got Phoe partially because I was afraid of one sister being alone. But I'm still afraid it'll hit the survivor hard. :( I hope Denny's alright!

I think I'll adopt two boys, just so we don't have to do this again. Denny is so sad! Tonight I'm picking up his new cage and hopefully a change in environment will do him good.

Oh Cait!! I'm so sorry about Mikey!! I'm glad that you decided to adopt two more boys for Denny and for you. I know it's hard to get through the pain when you lose one so young and without any notice.... I'm so very, very, very sorry.. :cry:

Back