Mikey

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

Hey all! So Tuesday I went to St. Jo to pick out two babies from one of the litters a rescue has right now. I picked out two handsome boyos, and they will be ready mid January. I can’t wait!

My friend and I went into a small pet store to start buying things I’d need, such as a cage and food, toys, bedding, and the like. While we were shopping, a man came in and was talking to the guy behind the counter, saying that he needed to return a rat because it was too big for his rat “after all”. The worker said that they wouldn’t take the rat back, as that was store policy. So the guy joked that he’d just have to turn it loose. And they BOTH laughed. *grr*

So my friend asked if he had the rat with him, and if he did, he said he’d take it off his hands. The guy did, and he handed it over to my friend, who turned it over to me. I couldn’t say no… I just couldn’t. We walked out of the store and found a different store to shop at.

So that’s how Mikey got here. He is completely unafraid of anything! I was so shocked that he was so calm, I figured he’d be wild and unfriendly. But nope. Mikey just goes with the flow, and is very laid back. He is not in the LEAST BIT afraid of “the hand”. He is, however, very critical. He just looks at everything with general disapproval, I feel. :p He likes to roam around the desk whenever I am here, which, is a lot since it’s finals week next week so I have been writing papers like mad. He is very inquisitive, and has made the desk his own. The fish in my fishtank on the desk are infuriated; my blood parrot charges the glass at Mikey. It’s funny to see him get so riled up. Mikey already takes things from my hands and eats them out of cage (peas went over REALLY well). He is just… a joy! He really is a sweetheart, and so friendly! I don’t know if this is fate or what, but he’s perfect.

I took him to the vet, and he cleared just fine, although he is on Baytril for a week just in case, he sounded like he may be getting a URI. I also went back to the rescue and explained the change in circumstances, and they said that acquiring Mikey didn’t change anything with the adoption. He is going to be quarantined until the babies get here. Then he will have little brothers to lord over and be critical of. And the fish will have something else to be upset about. :p

Look at this face! No fear at all! This was right after I got him home.
IMG_4611.jpg

This is where he gets critical…

“Ugh this place is not clean enough for me! And leaving change laying about is not Kosher at all!”
IMG_4617.jpg

He even criticizes children’s artwork.

“It’s no Van Gogh, that’s for sure!”
IMG_4621.jpg

My jewelry.

“This bracelet MUST go!”
IMG_4628.jpg

My taste in soda.

“Really now. Do you actually DRINK this stuff?”
IMG_4630.jpg

He even judges the stuffed animals.

“The tall one is gawking at me, and the short one is being very droll. This is now MY space, dogs!”
IMG_4636.jpg

“Mine, I say!”
IMG_4638.jpg

Humans suck. So is it fate or what that you guys were there at that moment??? Think of what his future would have been like if things had happened just a bit differently. Congrats on your beautiful new baby. He finally has the home he deserves!

ps Is that a little notch out of his ear?

Thanks, guys! He is quite the character... Always zipping around and doing things. He got on top of the fishtank earlier (its covered, no worries) and he looked SO proud of himself. What a weirdo.

Yes, that is a notch out of his ear. I have no clue what could have happened, but I don't really want to know. :?

Well I guess Mikey's probably been subjected to just about everything life can throw at him and he's worked thru his apprehensions & fears...
Sounds like a pretty stalwart little guy. Now you just have to see if his ability for co-passion measures up to the rest of his above & beyond.
I bet it does, but I bet he learns that with you.
Remember that commercial - 'give it to Mikey, he'll try anything'

I hope you don't take that daring spirit away from him by coddling him like I would.

Thanks, guys! He is pretty awesome. :)

More pics!

He likes to "help" me on the computer.

IMG_4648.jpg

IMG_4650.jpg

Eating a cashew in his "place"
IMG_4644.jpg

Drinking. (Cleaned out playdough containers make excellent water bowls for out time)
IMG_4653.jpg

There once was a rat, who lived in a shoe...
IMG_4655.jpg

Back