Midgey ripped out her stitches. Twice.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennw

Midge (one of my rat train girls) went in today to have a tumour removed.

Here she is before, to give you an idea of the size of the tumour:
2687774056_bdd992e042.jpg

Apparently, at the vet, she ripped out her stitches. :shock: She did this just after lunch. Doc put her back under, and sewed her up again. Then he put a little bit of that stretchy material around her, because she kept picking at it. When we went to get her, she had her toe stuck in the material, so he took it off.

She was pretty wired when I brought her home, so I checked on her fairly often. Sure enough, within an hour or so she'd ripped out the stitches again. It's more than likely just the top run of stitches. He said she probably wouldn't pull out the inner stitches, if she even managed to dig around enough to find them, and that she would ultimately be fine if the stitches were out. I'm just to make sure her cage is clean and that we wash well before we touch her, and of course to keep an eye on it.

I got the husband to make her reach for a blueberry so I could get a shot of her wound, since she wouldn't let me near it. Here it is:
2690318021_9d49747be4.jpg

From what I can see, it's the bottom few stitches. There was a little blood, but not much, and she's finally settled down now. It's in the foldy/wrinkly part, so I'm going to assume that it's actually somewhat protected, just because of its placement. (If it was on the backside, I would think it would be prone to more stretching or tearing.)

I was going to let her see her sisters tomorrow, but I think I might hold off now, since I worry about introducing anything that could get in the wound and get it dirty, and Monkey was VERY aggressive when Jenka came home from her surgery, so I worry about that, too. Their cages are beside each other, so they're not too far removed.

Anyways, long story short (HAH!), is there anything else I should be doing to keep her comfortable? Ice? Some kind of bandage??

Just keep her bedding clean. I had a rat do that too (same area actually). I took him back to the vet and she just said to watch him. She looks pretty good. (I think).

Awww...what a darlin! She must feel sooo much better now without the extra weight. Sending positive thoughts and healing vibes. It's amazing how quickly they recover.

dl
:D

Silly girl... doesn't she know it there to help her. When mamarat's boy did that, he had a HUGE gaping hole. Both mamarat and I had a massive heart attack and drove like mad back to the vet. She didn't want to stitch it back up and told us to just keep it clean and sure enough, it was nice and closed up within a few days.
My Nessie went in for her tumour op last week, my vet now uses tons of glue instead of stitches. :thumbup:

Back