metacam

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was told to give 0.5 ml once daily to me that is way to high as he is fat and you dont dose animals at their fat weight. to me the most he should get is .3
he weighs 745g but his weight is more like 600 or so. and they are calculating it at 1mg/kg. i called to confirm and yup im suppose to give 1/2 ml.
same as people who weigh like 400lb dont get 3x the amout of drugs that a 150lb person woul unless they were a fit 400lb like a wrestler or something.

My vet doses very very small amounts like 0.01 for a 400 gram rat. But I have to say, I don't think it does anything... but 0.05 seems better.

There are 2 concentrations of metacam readily available. 1.5 mg/ml (usual) and .5 mg/ml (uncommon)

Are you positive your vet said .5 ml? Not .05 ml which is a standard dose with my vet.

I weigh mine and calculate myself.

If your metacam is 1.5 mg/ml the; (check the bottle)'
a 500 gram rat would get .07 cc's (thi is the middle of the road dosage of .2 mg/lg)
a 600 gram rat would get .08 cc's
a 700 gram rat would get .09 cc's

oh hes not "my" vet make no mistake about that!!

and yes thats why i called them back because i knew it was too much to give. and i havent seen the other strength around here at any of the vets ive worked for. also she didnt say they had a different dosage. i also seem her use the large 100ml bottle to fill up the bottle for magic.

are you sure on the doses? ive never heard of the 0.5mg/ml and looked metcam website and they dont mention it.
http://www.bi-vetmedica.com/product_sit ... rence.html

but anyhoo im kinda glad that we arent going to use this vet anymore for surgeries as i took magic in yesterday morning and had dr. c exam him and i presented all my concerns to him.
he was almost flippant and didnt think there was too much risk to magics health due to surgery. said he had done surgery on rats with more risk then him. well i was suppose to get a call when he was done. 5 pm came and no call so i went over and about 2 min from the clinic i got a call on my cell. apparantly they had to put him under twice because of bleeding. poor magic is finally starting to feel a little better. about 3 hrs after he got home last night he started bleeding again. he was puffy and wouldnt eat ANYTHING. he ate about 1/2 tsp of pablum overnight. today he looks a little brighter but even now he doesnt want to really eat. he just drank some water.
i think if i had my time back i would not have put him through this and i felt pretty shitty last night at how miserable he was.

If there's a bleeding problem my vet won't give metacam. It promotes bleeding. I had to stop the metacam 2 days before rattie went in for surgery.

i wrote metacam to find out about the .5mg/ml and it is available but only in 15 ml size so i know the size they used to fill magics prescription was a 100ml bottle so was the 1.5mg/ml
he is much brighter but now fighting his meds something wicked. even metacam which tastes great he doesnt want to swallow. still not impressed with his eating habits though.

Back