Metacam!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

I was wondering if anyone knew at the top of their heads what the proper dose for a rat is. Administration...anything. My dad's bringing some up tomorrow and will consult our exotic vet if he can get a hold of her but if not, I need some help! :shock:

If anyone needs dosing help send a PM with your rats weight, the concentration of the meds and how sick or in pain they are.

I will send back your dosages :)

Show your dad this:

Dosage for acute: 0.4mg to 0.2mg/kg once as initial dose and then maintenance dose 0.2mg to 0.1mg/kg q24hrs; PO

Thank you so much for your prompt replies! Brie weighs 366 g. Did not know it was that hard to weigh a rat!

Jo's still a tiny thing - 114 g!

Anyway, thank you again, I've passed on the link and formula. :D

Is administering this difficult? My dad was talking about syringes...

Its usually a teeny amount you pop in their mouth, if you syringe it in. You can try disguising it with food as they really don't like the taste.

Brie would get .025 ccs (low end dose) or .05 cc's (middle dose). I am sure you don't need high do you?

Jo would get .01 to .02 cc's at her weight :)

I am used to having to smear it on their mouths, to great protest. It's a time of angst for me, because I don't want them to be in pain.

with Bill, I got smart. I put his drop in a little dish and mixed it with a drop of Strawberry Nesquick..... no problems at all.

Bev wasn't for Metacam but my dad snagged it anyway. With a syringe I smeared it over a bit of peanut butter and it was gone pretty darn fast! Then Brie sat on my lap, washed her face, and boggled. :D I was away for the weekend so regular medication will begin today.

Quick question!

I think my dad answered this for me at the time but I completely forgot his answer and I can't get a hold of him. I've been giving Brie 0.25 cc's but when I push it out there's residue left over in the syringe. Do I wash it out or just not worry about it? I think my dad said not to worry but I honestly forget. :(

If you plan on keeping the syringe for future medicating, you can put a piece of clear tape over the barrel of the syringe. The numbers will eventually wipe off with rinsing otherwise. I use packaging tape, but scotch tape will work just as well.

Good to know! :D

I have a handful handy that I brought when I moved here. It's really handy working at a vet clinic, hehe! And, er, the boss is your dad thus lets you steal this stuff.

Back