Meet Violet

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbie

We got a call from our vet's office. They had a rattie girl that was left to be pts, because it was more convenient for her owner, than addressing her horribly overgrown tooth and two (small) tumors. :redhot: My hubby actually took the call, so he was already working on her new cage, when I heard the news (he's a good boy!).

Of course we took her. What do you do when you know they will put down an otherwise healthy rat...if you don't take them?....yeah....we thought the same thing.

Anyway, Violet has got to be the most outgoing, friendly and non-fearful rat we've ever had. She's an ex-preschool rattie....so NOTHING scares her. She's an absolute doll.

Her surgery is on Friday, where the vet will remove the two tumors and two of her teeth (an upper and lower incisor on the same side). She apparently broke the tooth and they've overgrown ever since. They've been trimmed once, but she's so sensitive, that they had to put her under. Rather than do that each time, the vet thought it best to remove them, and we agreed.

Here's our new pretty girl:
Violet.jpg

Violet2.jpg

And her horribly overgrown tooth! :cry:
Tooth2.jpg

Tooth.jpg

What a doll! wow, your hubby said yes and fixed up the cage for her? I love him!!
She's a lucky girl.
We've had that happen a couple of times too, where the vet calls you to take in a rescue or 3. lol

Violet is so beautiful! Y'all are so lucky to have found each other! And your husband...what a sweetheart! I'm going to go ask my hubby what he would do if we got a call like that. I bet I know!
Congratulations on your new family member! :happydance:

What a beautiful girl!!!

I would be very interested in hearing how the tooth surgery goes ...
I have a little rescue girl who will always need her teeth trimmed due to the way her upper and lower jaw do not match up properly, and she only has 3 front teeth not 4 .....
I tried to get vets in NB and in NS to remove her front teeth but they did not feel competent enough to do it. :(

SQ said:
What a beautiful girl!!!

I have a little rescue girl who will always need her teeth trimmed due to the way her upper and lower jaw do not match up properly, and she only has 3 front teeth not 4 .....
I tried to get vets in NB and in NS to remove her front teeth but they did not feel competent enough to do it. :(

I'll certainly keep you posted. From what our vet says, Violet is very head shy and though I've had them do teeth trim for another girl I had (that always went very quickly), I certainly wouldn't put Violet through anesthesia once a month to keep that those teeth. So I do understand that this is what's needed for her. We'll also have her on baytril (to ward off any chance of infection) and metacam for pain. We'll also have lots of soft foods for her (though that snaggletooth isn't slowing her down right now), like soy yogurt, babyfood, scrambled eggs, avacado etc.

I'm very lucky in that my vet is one of the most amazing exotic animal surgeons in the country. he's been featured in Ferret Magazine for his techniques with the adrenal gland surgeries. He's performed countless tumor removals, spays and neuters for us. I knew just how amazing he was, when he went in to remove an internal tumor on one of my 2 year old girls. He thought it was probably a uterine tumor, so planned to spay her at the same time. It turned out that Buttercup's tumor was wrapped around one of her kidneys, and she had horribly cystic ovaries. He spayed her and also removed her kidney with the tumor. Buttercup made it through surgery and recovered very quickly. She went lived to be 33 months old.

So, I'm very confident with our vet, and I'll keep you posted on Violet's progress.

Poor sweet Violet. :sad3:

You're awesome for taking her in and giving her the medical attention she deserves. :hugs:

I gave an update on her surgery here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6601&start=0.

I thought I'd post some post surgery pics of Violet here. Her face is a bit swollen, but we have her on Metacam and Baytril. The vet said some swelling is normal, and it's not stopped Violet from eating her soft foods. I wish she would sit still enough, I could get a really good pic, but this will have to do for now. If you look closely, you can even see the indentation in her snout/face, where the tooth used to rub. I know in a few days, she's going to feel MUCH better.

We'll be taking her back in a week or so to have the two tumors removed and I'll have the vet check the upper tooth at that time, to see how it's growing. We might get lucky and not have to remove it too. Otherwise, we'll have to get her back in AGAIN, for another extraction. My poor baby.

Postsurgery1.jpg

postsurgery2.jpg

postsurgery3.jpg

Poor Violet that tooth was awful looking. She looks kind of silly with the indention where her snaggle tooth used to be. She is very pretty and best of luck with the tumors and I hope the upper tooth does well and does not need to be removed. =)

Debbie said:
SQ said:
What a beautiful girl!!!

I'll certainly keep you posted. From what our vet says, Violet is very head shy and though I've had them do teeth trim for another girl I had (that always went very quickly), I certainly wouldn't put Violet through anesthesia once a month to keep that those teeth. So I do understand that this is what's needed for her. We'll also have her on baytril (to ward off any chance of infection) and metacam for pain. We'll also have lots of soft foods for her (though that snaggletooth isn't slowing her down right now), like soy yogurt, babyfood, scrambled eggs, avacado etc.

I'm very lucky in that my vet is one of the most amazing exotic animal surgeons in the country. he's been featured in Ferret Magazine for his techniques with the adrenal gland surgeries. He's performed countless tumor removals, spays and neuters for us. I knew just how amazing he was, when he went in to remove an internal tumor on one of my 2 year old girls. He thought it was probably a uterine tumor, so planned to spay her at the same time. It turned out that Buttercup's tumor was wrapped around one of her kidneys, and she had horribly cystic ovaries. He spayed her and also removed her kidney with the tumor. Buttercup made it through surgery and recovered very quickly. She went lived to be 33 months old.

So, I'm very confident with our vet, and I'll keep you posted on Violet's progress.

WOW, sounds like you have an amazing vet!!
My little girl is unable to eat hard lab blocks so I soak them to make a mush for her.
And trimming her teeth is very dificult as she fights and crys ... :(
I do it myself as I can't afford weekly vet visits to have them trimmed.
The day after I got her in June, she had emergency surgery as one of her front teeth was growing up through her tongue.

Violet is looking good.
Hope she has a good recovery and does not need more surgery.

Thanks guys :D

Violet is looking great this morning. We also had her out for a romp in the play area and she was acting like nothing ever happened.

The swelling is about the same as yesterday, maybe a bit less....so I think she's healing up just fine. I might try to give her some of her dry mix again soon. She was so used to eating with the other side, that I believe it's no trouble for her.

SQ, your poor little one. That is so scary that the tooth was growing through her tounge! :sad3:

We just have to get Violet all healthy (she lost a lot of blood during surgery, so I'm giving her lots of protein now), so she can get thet tumors removed next.

Thanks for the suggestion Joanna......I'll check the listings and add our vets if they are not there yet.

Back