Meet the Fosters

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisK

Thanks to some pretty slick rescue work by ratmando (and RKBusy?) I am happy to introduce you all to my two new fosters. We're sharing the journey just until they're ready for adoption. I think they're almost ready...

They were rescued from a home where there was heavy smoking, no interaction, and a nice cage but with nothing interesting in it to do. The previous owner said they were 6 months old, but it's more likely they were around 3 or 4 months, judging by size/weight.

When I met them, they were very nervous around people, very small, and each had a mild URI. Their cage stunk so badly I washed it more than three times, even using bleach, before I could finally get the stink out.

And so, it's been a few weeks now. Meds are finished, and the girls have learned that people can be friendly. In fact, I'd say they've gone from being afraid to come out of their cage, to always wanting more out time, no matter how much they've had!

Please meet Cookie and Cupcake. Two very lovely girls.

cbgCS.jpg

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you :nod:

5xEi2.jpg

Is it time to come out again yet?
5wj3C.jpg

They look like trouble makers! (just kidding)

Those are the sweetest little faces I have ever seen.

I love their very pretty agouti coloring.

Thanks for taking care of them, you guys on the RatShack are the best!

Joanne said:
Beautiful girls! I hope they find a great forever home with lots of play time.

Thanks! Me too! They will be a delight for whoever adopts them. They get along together very well, and are just brimming with life. Cookie actually took a rest in my sleeve yesterday... until Cupcake came in to find her :lol: They keep me smiling..

What an wonderful, energetic pair!

Cookie boroughed her way thru some fleece during out time tonight.
ftlkP.jpg

And Cupcake makes drinking water an adventure :giggle:
0VmkX.jpg

But often, they just HAVE to drink water together:
cPJFk.jpg

What a riot!

Well... The other day, I had the cage open, and put my robe on the sofa while I left the room for a quick minute. When I came back, I thought Cookie and Cupcake were both still in their cage. I was going to sit with them on the sofa, so I picked up my robe and ... plunk! Cookie fell out onto the floor. :panic: OMG! The livingroom is NOT rat proofed, and neither girl has roamed freely thru this room..

At first, Cookie tried to jump back up to the sofa, but couldn't. It was too high. .. Phew! At least she wasn't hurt! Then she ran behind the sofa, next to the wall. Fortunately, I had a bit of rice cake near by, and I grabbed and broke a bit, so she'd hear the crinkley, food sound. She came back around from the sofa, looked at me... did NOT go for the food... and ran back around the sofa.. I called her name again, and she came to me. This time she crawled onto my arms and up to my shoulders.. and at that moment I knew beyond a doubt, that Cookie trusts me.

From there, I brought her back to the sofa, and she darted to her cage! Of course!

Cookie on the sofa:
FO68Y.jpg

And here is the site I see often, when I sit next to the cage:
p3snP.jpg

Beautiful, Bright eyed baby girls. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Back