Meet my ratties!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoA

I'll go in chronological order, starting with who I've had the longest...

Widdershins was my first rescue rat. He's a mismarked siamese (a triamese, if you will), and just turned 19 months old on the 23rd. He's a fairly stand-offish boy, but he does give kisses and sometimes likes to cuddle if the mood strikes him.

Sept25045.jpg

Nigel is Widdershins' brother, whom I quickly adopted after bringing Widder home. He was my first PEW, and is a very, very sweet boy. He lives to cuddle, and eagerly gives kisses anytime he can. He's my largest boy at 600 grams. He's not fat, he's just a very big boy! Widdershins thinks he makes a nice pillow ;)

Sept25015.jpg

Hazel is my oldest rattie, and was one of my two first girls (I adopted her and her sister together). She was about a year and a half old when I adopted her last September, which would put her at 2 1/2 years old, give or take a bit. She's a very affectionate, calm beige girl, who only wants to be touched and held. She misses her sister (Peri) a lot, but seems to be less depressed everyday. She's starting to popcorn again! I still can't believe someone just left her and Peri behind when they went to college :( They showed up at HVRR emaciated and covered in urine/feces. Poor girls! I'm glad I (and Kaia while they were at the rescue!) were able to show them what real love and care were.

Sept9008.jpg

Russia is from Loretta's oops litter that everyone seems to have babies from :p He's from all the way up in the igloo-ridden enthralls of Canadialand, and is a silly, sweet, soft PEW dumbo boy.

Sept18030.jpg

Fergie was from my first foster litter. She turned 10 months old on the 20th. Her mother and the rest of the rats that were surrendered were from a typical situation - unknowledgeable owner purchases a few rats, are told by the store employees that they're all 'males,' and tada, 50-60 rats, with more litters on the way! She was a silly baby who loved to give kisses, I had to keep her! She was an adorable baby (she's on the right in the linked picture). She's a really, really spotty variberk, which I think is absolutely beautiful. I think she's developed even more spots as she's gotten older!

August3030.jpg

Emma is Fergie's sister, and is a siamese. She's a very reserved girl who likes to observe rather than take part in silly antics, though she does love to have me ruffle her fur, which sends her into a popcorning frenzy. She gives tiny kisses that you can barely feel :)

emmasmiling.jpg

Polka is one of my two breeder rats. He's from FarStar Rattery here in Michigan. He's a pearl merle dumbo (possibly a mink merle considering how much he has darkened up!), and will be 10 months old tomorrow! He's a charming boy who loves to be squished and petted all the time. He's very laidback and will let you do anything with him. To be honest, I sometimes have a hard time telling him and Squee apart! Polka is slightly darker, and also has a dark, upside-down V in his fur above his right eye.

Sept1064.jpg

Squee is Polka's brother, and is also a pearl merle. He's the more silly of the two, and is always looking for a reason to popcorn around. He loves belly kisses and cuddling :p

Sept23026.jpg

Maddie is a black hoodie, and is almost 7 months old. She is absolutely insane. She is the quintessential girl in every way possible. She's always moving, always being annoying, and constantly wants to hand wrestle. She's VERY mouthy and is always "biting" my fingers and trying to play with me, no matter what I'm doing. She's very in-your-face, and extremely pushy. I love her, but god she is annoying sometimes! :lol: Mostly just when she tunnels under the towels, and everyone has to follow her.

Sept25036.jpg

Faroe is a black variegated girl, who is also about to turn 7 months old (she's 9 days younger then Maddie). She the much-less-annoying version of Maddie, and is obsessed with kissing my face. I have no idea why, but her sole goal in life is to lick my face as much as she can. She's a mushy girl who loves being loved on.

Sept25001.jpg

Encephalon (aka Ensie) is 3 months old and is a black berk. She has some neurological issues (spins in circles, falls over while grooming, no sense of height), which I thought were so adorable and endearing that I had to have her! She's my only intact rat, but not for long! Her spay is this Friday. She doesn't seem to understand what I am so far. She paws at my hands and will "test" me with her mouth anytime I put my hands in the cage. Despite that, she's a very sweet girl who's getting more and more used to being handled and loved on everyday. My vet and I are looking into having her get a CT scan, just for fun/scientific purposes.

Sept5004.jpg

Eva is probably around a year old, and is a PEW. We're not sure of her age since she came to the rescue full grown. She was supposedly some sort of lab rat, though I'm not sure about the full story. She loves to popcorn around and nap with the other rats, but she's still getting used to being touched and picked up. I'm sure with time (and the help of all my other social ratties), Eva will come around soon enough.

Sept25020.jpg

Lastly, Fyn is my merle hoodie boy that's 2 and a half months old. You can't touch him without him going absolutely ballistic by popcorning and running around. He loves to give kisses. He is the smallest rat I've ever encountered. His whole litter was small. He's almost 4 months old and is only 220 grams! I really hope he bulks up soon so I can throw him in the FN!

Sept5006.jpg

Thanks for looking/reading! :)

Wow!! What a fantastic colony!

I can't believe my Treat and Boo have a great aunt Russia!!

Your rats are amazingly beautiful... but of course they are, they are so pampered and spoiled and have such a wonderful mommy!

How does Ensie do with other rats? She's so tiny still.

They are all so lovely :heart: looks like you have a great group :kisses: virtual rice puffs and tummy kisses to them all!!! :tumkiss:

You mean a great uncle Russia! ;)

I've actually put Ensie in the big cage before, thinking she wouldn't be coordinated enough to attempt an escape. I underestimated her :roll:

I was so utterly worried about her, and watched her and the other rats like a hawk. Amazingly enough, she would completely defend herself and even scare off the other rats! She doesn't take **** from anybody ;) The other rats, besides Eva and Fyn who live/d with her, seem genuinely confused by her movements, like they know she's different and don't quite know why, or how to approach her. She's absolutely fearless with other rats, and does not like to be pushed around. Her and Fyn are in a separate cage until they get bigger, which is like waiting for water to boil.

SoA said:
You mean a great uncle Russia! ;)

I've actually put Ensie in the big cage before, thinking she wouldn't be coordinated enough to attempt an escape. I underestimated her :roll:

I was so utterly worried about her, and watched her and the other rats like a hawk. Amazingly enough, she would completely defend herself and even scare off the other rats! She doesn't take **** from anybody ;) The other rats, besides Eva and Fyn who live/d with her, seem genuinely confused by her movements, like they know she's different and don't quite know why, or how to approach her. She's absolutely fearless with other rats, and does not like to be pushed around. Her and Fyn are in a separate cage until they get bigger, which is like waiting for water to boil.

Ooops... sorry uncle Russia. :lol:

I'm so happy to read that she's getting along and adapting so well. :D

Aww, look at your adorable ratties. I love your pics of them, they really convey the character of each subject :D

Fyn is soooooo cute. And Ensie sounds interesting. I hope you keep us updated on her.

Back