Meet Mattie - SUCCESS with the intro's (pics to prove it ;))

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Betty was a senior girl that bruxxy picked up along with her sick sister Sally. Sally was taken to the vet the next day but the vet deemed that she wasn't going to make it and put her to sleep.

Betty on her own for the first time in QT became very depressed. She was already skittish and nervous and the loss of her cagemate exacerbated it all. I told bruxxy that I was looking for a sweet old gal to be friends with my Shadow. Shadow is a suet pudding of a sweetie, harmless and defenseless but often picked on. Her present cagemate Rennie isn't always very nice to her and isn't that fond of her, and my Shadow lives to love and be loved. No communal grooming between her and Rennie. :sad-p:

When bruxxy told me depressed Betty was very sweet, I thought what the heck? I brought Shadow over to meet her and it was very sweet. Betty came out of her shell with Shadow around, bravely venturing forth on us, letting us pat her without shrinking, whereas Pre-Shadow she was hiding nervously under the ramp in her cage. :)

So Betty...now Mattie, a similar sounding name and a homage to my beloved Maddy who I lost...is home now.

Bruxxy! I have figured out the key to her heart!! She is a sucker for cheek rubs, I get a glaze-eyed floppy rat when I do that. While I am typing she is lying on my lap under the keyboard tray. No cheek rubs while I am typing :roll:

Mattie has a slight respiratory sound in her lungs I will watch carefully, and has bumblefoot on both hind feet, which I will start to treat.

Meet Mattie. :mrgreen:

Mattie coming home with Shadow
ShadowandBetty.jpg

BettyandShadow.jpg

Pics of her bumblefoot...from the side
bumblefootfromtheside.jpg

from the bottom
bumblefootfromthebottom.jpg

And now the cute pics :lol:

Mattie2.jpg

Mattie1.jpg

Mattie3.jpg

Mattie4.jpg

Ahhh...cheek rubbing :D
Mattie5.jpg

Ah she's adorable!! reminds me of my firt girlie Treacle who to this day I still believe was the best rat in the world....

Good news that her bumblefoot looks ok, so long as it doesn't rupture I'm sure it'll be ok.

Jiggy my girl has tiny little bumbles on her back feet but I think they're just hard patches as she runs on her toes and doesn't put weight on her heels, so she's grown new heels nearer the middle of her feet!! hehe a few of my rats have done this, and they all ran on their toes... I don't know if that's really what causes it, I can only assume, but none of them got any worse, and stayed as tiny little red bumbs that they all stood on and never bothered with.... oh the weird and wonderful world of rats!!

So yeh, you'll have to post more pics as she settles in, I love it when rats accept each other instantly... it's so sweet!!
Scritches to Shadow, and cheek rubs to Mattie x

Awwww, what a sweetie and wonderful belated birthday prezzie for Shadow. Shadow looks so vibrant & happy!

Scritches & cheek rubs for them both.

:congrats:

Mattie is still on her own, since I have Shadow living with Rennie.

Yesterday I found Saffi had escaped and was on top of Rennie and Shadow's cage. Rennie was ignoring her. She had 2 small bites in her feet but I am sure that was from the Wildlings...she huffs at them in the cage below her, and they huff back. :roll:. Rennie was actually sleeping in the hammock below Saffi on the top. :shock:

I was thinking...Has Rennie mellowed since she lost her beloved Portia?

So greatly daring I put all 3 on my bed (Mattie, Shadow, and Rennie). It went amazingly well. They were all curious about each other but not extremely, and Mattie seems to like Rennie as well. Its not quite a neutral territory, but Rennie and Shadow rarely get to go into the bedroom so its kinda new. :)

I will continue this and see if Mattie may end up with 2 cagemates instead of just one :thumbup:

I am very happy with this development!

Ooh maybe I could intro the boys once they aren't fertile anymore? LOLOL

Yesterday I came home to Rennie outside her cage. I had forgotten to fasten it right and she has learned a New Trick :) I decided to pop her into Matties cage, and after watching for a bit left them alone. Shadow got popped in there a bit later on, and they did so well, I left them in there for the night after putting in a bigger hammie (kept the cage on my bed with me, so if anything happened I could take care of it quickly). This morning I scrubbed down the other cage and they are in there now :mrgreen:

At first Mattie was all over the place exploring and was mostly in the bottom of the cage, so I took pics of Shadow mostly :)

"I'll come out of my hammie if you got food?"
Shadow1Dec1.jpg

Then Rennie joined in...
RennieandShadowDec1.jpg

Shadow - "I am sure you have some food to feed me?"
Shadow2Dec1.jpg

Then Mattie joined us all upstairs...
MattieinthefooddishDec1.jpg

And I brought out the dog bikkie :)

Rennie - "Mmmmph...gimme that!"
Rennie2Dec1.jpg

Mattie ' "I want!!!"