Meet Gustave, the new foster kitty! (New update!)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mia9_28

I became a foster home for a special needs kitty today. :dance:
It is believed that he has spinal disc herniation, according to the vet.
A while back, at the SPCA, he became almost completely paralyzed in his hind legs and could barely move. He's been on Apo-Prednisone ever since and he did improve but seems to have hit his plateau. He doesn't have full mobility of his hind legs, but he can still get around and play. For some reason, the SPCA decided that they wanted to have him euthanized, but I think he can still have a quality of life, so I offered to foster him to at least give him a few more month at life, and maybe they will change their minds. They know I move in a few months, so he will either go back to live at the SPCA then... or they will have him euthanized. I hope they will find someone with a big heart who will be able to adopt him. Anyone here wants him? :wink: :stickpoke:

In a few days, he will be given pred every other day instead of daily, and then we stop and we see if he becomes in pain. At that point, it's either they keep him on pred for the rest of his life (which will affect his organs over time), for his time with me or they have him euthanized. Unfortunately, it's not my decision what happens to him as he is the SPCA's cat.. so he may be a short term resident... or we may keep him for the full 2-3 months we'll have him.

He has a very wobbly walk, and can only do a few steps before he has to sit down/lay down... but he sure is a charmer!

Without further blabla, here are some pictures of Gustave at the SPCA!

When he first arrived at the SPCA-PA
297314_492098290817894_1903678458_n.jpg

480870_587166117977777_65533318_n.jpg

In recovery and started walking again (note the little bobtail!)
72807_10152305932436393_995899256_n.jpg

887169_527559583954576_1594948035_o.jpg

I took a few pictures of him but I haven't uploaded them to my computer yet.. so I will post some pictures of him here later tonight or tomorrow.. :)

They don't know how it happened, from what I know.
One of the workers said he was laying down and not in the mood to play one day, so she picked him up and saw that he had defecated all over himself. When she put him down, he fell to his side. He couldn't move anymore. The vet took an x-ray and the problem is in the back of his neck.
Maybe he played too rough?

mia9_28 your such a kind soul to take in this lovely cat, he is so beautiful. I hope the time you have him brings you so much joy and happy memories.
I had a 3 legged cat called Tiny, she was hit by a car. She coped very well and lived from 2000 to 2009 I miss my little hobbler.

He's doing great. Him and my cat are best buds and love to cause trouble together. It's easy to see that he does much better in a home than at the shelter.. he just loves one on one attention!

He gets his pills every other day and he seems to not be in pain.. so good sign!

Gustave is in the process of being transferred to Friends of Ferals in Nova Scotia.
Joanne, who is a member of the group, will be meeting me in Moncton next week (probably on Friday the 3rd) where I will hand her over Mr. Gus Gus!
He will have a better chance of finding a forever home over there. :dance:
Their resident vet will also have a look at him, so maybe something can be done to help him further with his condition!

Thank you again for contacting me and offering to help out Gustave! :heart:

Gustave has made it to Windsor, and Dr. Sue did an initial evaluation and is wondering if things originated in his brain instead of his spinal cord. Anyway, further investigation will ensue.......
He rode the whole way home from Moncton in my friend's arms. He's an awesome kitty!

Thought you might like an update! Gustave is still waiting for his forever home, but is winning lots of fans as he is a really friendly cat and loves people. He has been spending some time this week at Daniels Flower Shop. The owner, Jen, is a member of Friends of Ferals, and many cats and kittens have been adopted through her store. The cats get lots of exposure there and many people come by just to check out the latest kitties up for adoption. I think he may be going for a trial run at someone's house this weekend to see how he fits in. Fingers crossed!

Back