Meds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotton+lycra

Sorry if there is already a topic on this but im panicking...

My friend Jay has 3 boys. One of them is ill with what i think was URI (cant remember right now, but it was along those lines). She has meds for him, but he isnt eating and wont take them. The vet advised her to mix it with blackcurrent and put it on a biscuit, but it isnt helping. What can she do? I don't want him to die, neither does she and he has dropped in weight dramatically! :cry3:

Please help!

Jen

To give my rats meds I always use a syringe, it gives me peace of mind to know they did get their meds. This is how I do it:

Sit in a chair and put my knee up and put the rat on my knee...that way they don't have anywhere to go. I put my hand on his back with my finger and thumb gently around his neck to keep him from moving his head. Now the tricky part...you have to be quick. Put the syringe in the side of the mouth behind the teeth and squeeze in.

If he's not eating or drinking this can also help give him water and baby food in small quantities at a time.

Good luck!

I too like to give it with a syringe. This way I know they are getting it but many people like to mask the meds in yummy foods. Some use baby cereal, strawberry quick, cool whip... all sorts of yummy things. But if the problem is that he can't eat because he's too sick, then using the syringe might be the only option.

Every vet recommeds Ribena but i dont think it works lol.

I buy a box of Strawberry Complan from Boots (its a nutritious drink - comes in lots of flavours but i find Strawberry works a treat) -There is 4 sachets inside a box and i tear the corner, poar a bit of powder onto a small dish, mix with a tiny bit of water so its like a milkshake and put the Baytril in it and stir it up. The box costs about £3-ish something, and should last a while. Its super tasty, and my rats love it. You can also suck it up into the syringe and feed it that way - i have one rat that will take meds from a syringe and another that just flat out refuses to. It should also help get the weight back on the rat aswell

Hmm... If you can't get any Complan, raid your cupboards or fridge. Mix it in with a bit of peanut butter, or dairylea - something with a strong tasty taste. You dont need a lot, maybe half a teaspoon or so

Thanks everyone, Whiskers took his meds via a syringe! Im happy now, at least theres a chance of him getting better now! I shall be recommending Complan to Jay... He needs to put on weight!
Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back