Medicine help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluerose

I have a sick rat. She was sneezing all the time. Her sister started sneezing so I found some amoxicillin and started it. They are on day 6 of it twice a day. Her sister has stopped sneezing and she has calmed some but still sneezes. I can’t find a vet to take them. I have been adviced to start a doxy combo with baytril. I have no clue where to come across these meds. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

You will need a vet at some point in the lives of your little ones, so you should look for one as soon as you can. That being said, they sound like they may be able to wait long enough for you to order some meds. I would keep them on the amoxicillin while you’re waiting though, it’s great for secondary infections that may happen from them not having the proper meds for a while.
I order my antibiotics online. I’ve gotten Baytril from Jedd’s Bird Supply and I’ve gotten doxycycline from both there (in the form of doxydog tablets) and in packets from Jefferspet.com. The Baytril is a liquid form that is meant to be injectable but is safe to use orally. I dilute mine with water either strawberry or chocolate Nesquick syrup. I found that maple syrup made it go cloudy. With the doxy, I’ve used both the packets of powder that you mix into water and the tablets meant for dogs that I crushed up and mixed with water and syrup. The packets are much easier to use if you can get them but the doxydog tablets are cheaper.

As you suspect, she likely needs antibiotics (from a vet).
You can also make sure the cause is not environmental - no odors/scent in the environment, cage and environment clean, bedding is not dusty etc

You absolutely need to find a good vet that is willing to learn and hopefully also knows about treating rats.
Rats become ill and die fast without medical care
We can guess as to what may be wrong based on experience and knowledge but a vet has the resources, experience and knowledge to find out what is wrong and prescribe correct medications and treatment.
A vet is also a reliable source of medications …..
Lilspaz68 can tell you of a place in the USA where some meds can be ordered, but other places may not be selling what they claim or may be selling meds that have expired etc. You need a vet.

Back