Medication advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure, they seemed pretty adiment they have given me the right dosage and its deffo 0.31 and 0.78mls. Iv used the vet inside pets at home, companion care pets. If its wrong it worries me that 2 vets have double check it and still believe they are right.

Not sure, they seemed pretty adiment they have given me the right dosage and its deffo 0.31 and 0.78mls. Iv used the vet inside pets at home, companion care pets. If its wrong it worries me that 2 vets have double check it and still believe they are right.

IF you use .78 ml of clavamox (Synulox) your rats will have diarrhea very quickly as Clav is one of those very hard on the tummy. They are asking you to give 10 times as much as needed.
http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/clavamox_amoxicillinclavulanate.php

here are the relevant parts that you need to know, then I will show you HOW I came up with my doses for Dexter.

Caution: Loose stool/diarrhea not an uncommon side effect of this antibiotic. Use higher doses judiciously where condition warrants. In the event loose stools/diarrhea can not be controlled with probiotics contact veterinarian immediately to reduce antibiotic dose, stopping antibiotic, or switching to another antimicrobial to prevent complication of enterocolitis.

Dosage Recommendations

20 mg/kg, PO, q12hrs

Using 200 g (weight) X recommended dosage of 20 mg/kg = 4 divided into concentration of 50 mg/ml = 0.08 ml BID (twice a day)

Your vets are recommending 195 mg/kg not 20 mg/kg

try it with their numbers

200 x 195=39 divided into 50 = .78 ml

Back