Maybe it's just me, I don't know...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I've been looking at everyone's cute photos of their rats and thinking, I should get some of my boys. But their room is so messy- just the way they like it! If I clean it up, they don't want to come out.
The messier the room is, the more they like it!

but then I find myself sitting there with the camera and you know what? I'll catch little snippits of video of the boys doing something that I find cute, that I want to save for later, but that isn't at all unusual or interesting to any one but me.

I notice the smeeze brothers slowing down, they are between 17 and 19 mos old now, and even Rocko, he comes out, plays hard and then puts himself to bed LOL
and I selfishly want to keep all the special moments to myself.
I don't want to share them. I've been thru this oh, how many times already? each time it's different, but this time, I see it coming and knowing that they are not going to live forever, that they probably will not be here next winter (although it would be so awesome if they were!) I just want them all to myself.

Does anyone else ever feel that way?
In general I'm a generous person, so it startles me a bit that I want to keep even the photos and videos of my boys all to myself.
I can't put my finger on what would change if I *did* share them....
I don't know.

I want to spend every spare moment with them.

I find that there are so many moments that I find my kids adorable, but someone else else might say 'huh?'
So maybe you are just living in the moment, enjoying them just because they are...

Not at all, sometimes I wish I would get off my butt and take more pictures. My nakies are getting bigger and I haven't taken enough pictures. Tucker has hernia surgery tomorrow and I just have a bad feeling about it. I hate those feelings. Some times I think I put too many pictures on here. I don't mind seeing pictures, but there are no rules saying you have to share your pictures.

Not at all, sometimes I wish I would get off my butt and take more pictures. My nakies are getting bigger and I haven't taken enough pictures. Tucker has hernia surgery tomorrow and I just have a bad feeling about it. I hate those feelings. Some times I think I put too many pictures on here. I don't mind seeing pictures, but there are no rules saying you have to share your pictures.

oh NO you don't post too many photos! see that's kinda my point, I love seeing photos of everyone else's ratties

but lately I selfishly want to keep everything about my boys to myself
I don't want to share them.
and I don't know why, it's almost like I'm afraid sharing them will "dilute" things somehow
I don't know.........
I'm trying to figure it out, actually and often I need to write things out to try to figure out what exactly it is that I mean.

I don't understand why I don't want to share even photos so them.

ETA: I think I figured it out! when I'm with them lately, I'm both happy and sad. Happy to be spending time with them, sad because I know it's limited. I think it's the sadness I don't want to share.
When we are playing, I often tear up now, thinking about them not being here any more. Probably a reaction to losing my brother too.

that's probably all it is.

Last edited:
That's a trap we have to be careful of. Instead of enjoying and celebrating their life, we are already grieving the loss. It's not fair to them if we do that, they feel our energy. I know...it's easier said than done. I find myself in that very same trap many times especially if I have a sick rat.
My problem with pictures is I'm just too damn lazy to pick up the camera. I really should though, those memories are priceless.

I often get the same way when I'm with my older ratties. Also, when I take a pic or video that makes me laugh so hard, I show it to someone else and they're like, "Oh, yep, cute. "

It's like YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW FUNNY OR ADORABLE THIS IS!!

Some people just don't get it and sometimes there's no point in sharing!

That's a trap we have to be careful of. Instead of enjoying and celebrating their life, we are already grieving the loss. It's not fair to them if we do that, they feel our energy. I know...it's easier said than done.

thanks for the reminder! I put a note on my fridge about this so I don't forget.
it's the same with the cats, too.

I wrote on the note: "The rats and cats moods are a reflection of your own: be happy, be calm!"

I put on some happy music and everyone perked up!

I find that when I share pictures of my boys, it almost makes me feel better about having them such a short time. I can share them on my blog, and people will laugh with me and share their stories that I reminded them of. Its kind of like the joy that I bring to other people with pictures of my boys, adds to the enjoyment that I have of them. (I have this one picture of one of my boys with half a turd hanging out of his butt that some friends and I keep sending back and forth)

Of course I only share in rat communities so I always get people that react well so that helps! But I also know people that save their favorite pictures for themselves, but share the ones that aren't special.

Back