Maybe Babies?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chops

So my new rescue gal is looking quite a bit on the lumpy/chunky side but hasn't yet groomed any hair away from her nipples. I've rescued pregnant rats in the past so I'm not panicked or anything, just a bit worried since this little one is still very young (I do have my regular exotics vet on my speed dial should something go amiss though!)
What do you guys think? Does she look pregnant to you? (sorry not the best pics in the world, she's not very keen on being held)

We'd have to see the bottom of her belly to get a better idea but the photos do make me think she is pregnant. Do you have a scale to start weighing her daily? You're probably only a few short days away from birth if she is pregnant...

We'd have to see the bottom of her belly to get a better idea but the photos do make me think she is pregnant. Do you have a scale to start weighing her daily? You're probably only a few short days away from birth if she is pregnant...

I've tried getting her to stand up with her front paws on my finger so I can get a good frontal belly shot but she is just not wanting to be harassed or held at all, she gets extremely distressed and I feel terrible for making her feel so stressed out. Usually the preggo gals that I've rescued in the past have been fully grown and much less jumpy. I do have a gram scale around here somewhere from back when we were having regular litters, looks like its time to break it out again. I'm sure she's gaining at a quick rate, I've only had her for two days and she is visibly bigger than she was the day I picked her up (and even then she was still looking like she swallowed a golf ball).

I've gone ahead and added some extra protein to go along with her oxbow diet and have the maternity tank set up with food, water, and a shoebox filled with fluffy paper towel torn into strips.

Oh my...she certainly looks like she's got some wee ones in there. Here's hoping its all the good food

If only that were the case, but she looked like this when she got here, she's gotten bigger but she was still looking huge the day I picked her up. She's also nesting and sleeping a ton.

Sounds like you should put her into a nursing cage. You should remove the grill off the top of the litter box for now as it's a hazard for babies.

Update: moved Gilly into the maternity tank, she's nesting quite a bit so we'll see what happens

Update: Some bloody discharge is happening.
I've been monitoring her weight since posting this thread, it has been going up steady daily but then at her weigh last night I noticed that she hadn't touched her food and her weight had taken a sudden 9 gram drop, she was still walking around and didn't seem to be in any discomfort so I left for work. Now I just got home and she's snuggled into her nesting box and has a bit of bloody discharge, so I'm keeping as close of an eye on her as I can without stressing her out. Crossing my fingers for no problems, have vet on speed dial should something go amiss...

So exciting and scary all wrapped up together....Sending lots of love and warmth to your sweet girl and hope for a fast,easy delivery and healthy momma and babies!

Update: Ok so maybe it was a false alarm, upon closer inspection, it was actually parts of the nesting box that she'd chewed up. The wet cardboard bits looked like dried blood on the white nesting paper towel shreds...and she's not nesting again...Gilly stop playing with my emotions...

Back