Maude! Lethargic, cool... What's going on?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He really has taken it hard... He feels bad because, like I said, even though these are his first rats he's had two die in a short time.

The vet called back and he said there was little need for a histology... The autopsy was pretty conclusive. Brain abcess, caused by a congenital heart defect. Stenosis was one of the words I heard, I didn't ask to repeat it because basically what he was telling me was that there was nothing to prevent her from getting it and nothing I could do to sheild the others. If it hadn't been the abcess eventually it would have been her heart. But she appeared and acted normal... And she was such a big girl! :/ *sigh* That makes me sad... there was actually NOTHING to be done. If she had acted like she was sick, could have told me she had a head ache or something, then maybe... But she can't tell me. It ticks me off slightly too! Normally, you hear "there was nothing you could have done" and you take it because as far as you know, they're right, and when you hear it and it's FOR REAL then it really stinks big time! How useless can you feel after realizing that it's really true? Absolutely nothing, simply a waiting game. Then like a lot of you said... "You were lucky you were home with her" is what he said, and I know a few others have said. How flippin' true! When it could have been any time... We sleep, we go out... We aren't always in the same room as them. I can't be with them 24/7, even though I am with them A LOT, it's not constant. So to be with her when she went, that was good, that was right... And the most I could have done.

And breeders! Congenital... she was born with it. It's genetic. Someone had to have bred this baby, and that means there are others, her siblings, who may go the same way as her. A little responsibility on a few people's parts could have spared her, and then I think about Nina and it's the same, ignorance basically caused their horrible untimely deaths.

I'm sorry I'm rambling, but I think it's now hitting me. How royally unfair and cruel. She was never anything but a sweetheart and a love. I'm sorry. I need to go cuddle something.

Genetic make-up can really be a b!tch can't it? There is nothing more hateful than being told that there is nothing which can be done.

My vet told me the same thing when Jerry died. She indicated that his incisor growth spurt was most likely the result of a tumor in the brain. She said that tumors can cause hormonal imbalances which can make the incisors grow faster than they would normally have grown. She also indicated that brain surgery on a rat was extremely difficult due to the millions of tiny blood vessels. Although she was willing to try, she advised that euthanasia was the kindest thing we could do for Jerry.

I felt like a failure and the guilt still haunts me sometimes. It was made perfectly clear to me that none of Jerry's issues were my fault. Nevertheless, I can't let go of the feeling that there must have been something which could have been done.

I can fully identify with how you must be feeling. It sucks when we are forced to realize that the human race still hasn't managed to beat out Mother Nature and how cruel and unfair life can be.

If I could ask my Grandpa, he would tell me that the animal must have been something special and that God needed him/her upstairs right away. I know that these would have been his exact words but it would have helped more if he were still here to say them to me. :(

My grandfather would say the same thing, Jen! I'm almost sure he has said those exact words before.

It stinks when there is nothing... It really does make you feel useless. You bring in these ratties to take care of and are your responsibility, and then when it comes down to it, there isn't much you can do besides let them go. Which, in it's way, is taking care of them. To make sure they aren't in pain and that they don't go unwanted or unloved.

It irritates me to think of people who won't take their babies to the vet for something perfectly treatable, and here I am praying the vet could do anything possible for something that was out of my hands completely.

Cait, I'm so sorry! It's awful when we lose control, but at least you cannot blame yourself for any of it, you and John gave her the life she deserved and did everything in your power, and that's all anyone could have asked. :heart:

Wow, what an interesting finding. Thank you so much for sharing the information with us.

Please do not feel badly at all, I hope that you can be comforted by the fact that there was nothing you could do. I always worry that there was something I could or should have done, and it makes it much easier on me knowing that I did not fail them.

In a way it's a little easier, because no one is to blame or at fault.

I didn't even know what a brain abscess was! I'm glad though I found out; it's rare but it happens, even in humans.

Back