Mass on lower gum

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aranel05

Hello all.

Has anyone had experience with tumors on a rat's gums? I took my rat Martin to the vet to get his teeth trimmed (awhile ago, one if his lower insicors chiped, and ever since he has lost the equilibrium in his bite), and while he was knocked out, the vet found a mass on his lower gum. She thought she would be able to just pick it off (I cannot remember what she said she thought it was -- some word I did not recognized), but then realized it was "fleshy." It bled around the mass a little, but there was no pus. She put him on antibiotics for 7 days in case it is an infection, and told me to keep an eye on it. He is currently completely fine -- eating, drinking, climbing, etc.

Yes and no, my Throttle (RIP) had two on his face one on his lower jaw on the outside and one on the back bottom of his lower jaw. The vet was able to sedate him and drain the one on the side of his face, but that one caused bone damage to his jaw. The cells were abnormal and bone cancer was suspected, but pathology results came back as a nasty infection. The one under his jaw wouldn't drain much, but was soft and moved around. He was put on flagyl, metacam, and tramadol. The side abscess never returned, but the bottom jaw one would every time we stopped the flagyl so after awhile he just got that daily. He was also on pain meds most of the time or he wouldn't eat solid foods. He lived with this for about 5-6 months before his heart condition became to much for him and we had him pts earlier this month. Hope this helps you some.

Back