Maserati - June 6, 2010 - July 11, 2012

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temblabamomo

I let my sweet little snowpea go this morning. It was time.

Maserati came to me as a wee baby. His name then was “Ripcurl”. He and his brother, formerly “Rolodex” (lol) (now Morrissey), were VBSPCA rats. I adopted them around 10 weeks, to be companions to old man Barnaby.

I can’t quite remember how we landed on his name. Something to do with him being very very fast, all over the place and bursting with curiosity, me being obsessed with cars, and an encounter with the BF, where he followed BF around the room all evening, and BF finally picked him up and said “Stop following me, I’m not your mother. (hands Maz to me). This is your mom. You’re ma’s rattie.” Ma’s rattie….Maserati.

Maz was my first PEW. I was in love with his sweet little face instantly. His poor vision and consequent hesitance to explore sometimes made me feel a little over protective of him. His friends could see well and didn’t fear new adventures. Maz was never fearful, just tentative, and I felt like I needed to help him find his way sometimes.

Of the brothers, Maz was always the sweetest. After his first few days in our home, he became very trusting. He was go-go-go all the time, but often stopped to give me or his brother lots of lickings.

He was good buddies not just with his brother, but his adopted Uncle Max, too. I’ve never seen a sweeter, more loving trio of rats. After his Max left, he befriended shy, passive little Bear. Bear has been struggling with resp issues lately as well, and no matter what, Maz has always been his hammock buddy, giving baths and love daily to his companion. Maz was always a mother to his friends and siblings. He seemed to think it was his duty to give baths all ‘round, several times a day.

As he grew and familiarized himself with his home, Maz became a real adventurer. He boldly went where no rat had been before, lol. He was the first to discover the joy of climbing to the top of Mt. FN, and the only one to discover that it was just a quick hop from there to the book shelf. He delighted in pushing paperbacks off the ledge to their doom, and enjoyed it even more I think when he could aim at his brother passing by below. But Maz’s favorite spot above all was my bed. Some days the most I saw of him was just lump scooting around beneath the quilt. I’ll never understand why he got such a kick out of it, but he did, every single day.

Maz was kind to his human family was well. He was somewhat snuggly, at times, and gave my mom and I frequent baths. He even won over my grandmother, a former rodent-hater. She was astounded at how sweet and well-behaved he was. She only met him once, at Thanksgiving, but since then she will tell anyone and everyone who will listen that rats are sweet, clean, adorable little creatures. Maz was a true rattie ambassador.

Throughout his life Maz had recurring resp issues. Nothing antibiotics wouldn’t clear up, but it came back, more and more frequently. These past months he’s been on maintenance meds, and I have known this sad day would be coming soon. Despite his difficulties, Maz has been a proper little trooper, continuing to shower love and baths on all of his family, no matter what. Letting him go today was not an easy decision. He was not at the point of distress yet, but was not comfortable, and it was only a matter of days before his discomfort reached a very bad level. Maz was too precious and sweet his whole life to have to meet his end by suffering. Yesterday that spark seemed to be gone, and this morning his eyes were dull and tired. Still gave everyone their baths, but it was time.

Rest well Maz, sweetest of the sweet ones. Thanks for all the baths and cuddles. I enjoyed your company immensely for two years, and thank you for it. Give your Uncle Max kisses from me and Morrissey. Goodbye my love, until we meet again.

P8261987-1.jpg

P9021994-1.jpg

PB072480b-1.jpg

P9262282-1.jpg

PA172402.jpg

P3120002.jpg

P3230138.jpg

P3230136.jpg

P1100180.jpg

P5080555.jpg

P6200282.jpg

P6200286.jpg

P5280028.jpg

P1250208.jpg

P9240249.jpg

P5250763.jpg

P5250774.jpg

Sorry for your loss. You've got some great pictures to remember him by. Looks like he was a real sweetheart and it's obvious he was well loved!

Thanks all for the kind words. I'm still kind of coming to terms with losing my little guy, even thought I know it was the thing to do. It seems like many of my rescues come to me all grown up, and leave within a year. Having Maz since he was just a little feller makes it a bit harder, for some reason.

I'm so sorry Morgan. What a precious little face he had. :sad3:

PEWs have the sweetest temperaments, I find, and it is so painful when they leave.

I hope he finds Roquefort at the Rainbow Bridge. I would love for my boy to find a friend in your little man, Mas. :rose:

I'm so sorry you had to let your little man go. It looks like he had a great life and it's all because of you. He couldn't and wouldn't have asked for anything more. RIP Maserati...

Back