Martins?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sami

Hello!
I have 2 female ratties and am in need of buying them a larger cage. Would the R-680 or the R-695 be more suitable for them in terms of likeability, maintainance, etc etc. Also, I plan on ordering off of the website. With this item only, does anyone know what the shipping cost will be? I've read other forums about this cage and they say they've paid $100 for shipping! Yikes!

Please note: I'm new to this forum so if there is any content of this post that is restricted in this forum or can be found elsewhere, please let me know and provide me with a link to the other topic.

Thanks in advance!

Shipping is probably not bad within the US. The killer is getting stuff shipped to Canada! Though Martins cages are certainly worth it!

If you can afford the 695, go for it. You can get it with the big doors and the pull-out tray, which makes cleaning and decorating much easier, and ratties can always use extra space. Two would find a 695 nicely spacious!

And you have to prepare yourself for an attack of GGMR*, in which case you might as well have a cage big enough for four!

*Gotta Get More Rats

The R695 powder coated with extra large doors and pull out tray is a fantastic cage.
But it is a good idea to put it together with cable ties not the c-rings that come with the cage. Harder to get the c-rings off and they rust.

The R680 powder coated is a good cage for 2 rats but if you can afford it, the R695 is much better. Rule of thumb is to get the largest cage you can afford.

You can put in your info on the website and it will let you know what the shipping costs are.

I agree, Martins are so worth every penny. Although, the 680 would be quite suitable for 2 rats but the 695 offers more in terms of space and if you ever wanted to add an extra rat or two you can. Definitely powder coated.

Personally I would probably get the 680, if you don't plan on getting any more rats. From what I have heard talking to others, it is much easier to move around, throw in the tub, and comes already with a large door so it is easy to decorate and scrub down. You can still fit in a large hammock, wheel, and toys.

When I am down to two rats I plan to get a 680 for them. :)

If you are planning to add a 3rd rat, or 3rd and 4th rat then I would definitely opt for the 695.

(Also, you can get the shipping cost through Martins before you purchase... just add it to cart, and then begin the checkout process and it will show you your total.)

Thanks to all of you who replied! Thanks Lise, I didn't know that the shipping would appear in the 'check out' on the site. The total came to $138, which isn't too bad (I was expecting it to be lots more!). I had also looked into the Ferret Nation cage, but after browsing this forum and learning about how huge the bar spacing is, I decided it would be smarter to just buy a Martins instead of lady-proofing a FN. Maybe in the future I will be up for modifying an FN. 8)

Some of you mentioned about the extra large doors and pull out tray. Is this a feature included within the cage or something that needs to be specially requested by phone?

Godmother, I can totally see GGMR happening. All the more reason to have the space in the meantime, eh? :wink:

Hi Sami,
glad to hear that the shipping to the US isn't too bad. As for the extra-big doors and the pull-out tray, it's safest to email them and make sure before you order it.

GGMR is a terribly contagious problem :lol: , also it's hard to inoculate yourself agaist.

:rofl4: That is too true!!!! You think that you have protected yourself against GGMR with a good old-fashioned dose of "I have too many ratties, I don't need any more" when suddenly: :tongue: "I-could-have-more-if-I got-another-cage"-itis :bounce: and BAM!! You have 3 more ratties with their own brand new cage with all the trimmings!

It's true! That "I-could-have-more-if-I-got-another-cage"-itis is dangerous stuff!! :roll: :lol:

Back