Martin's 690 for two females??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martins powder coated cages are wonderful cages for rats.

I'm with jorats, I would strongly suggest that you do not buy that cage.
Rats really need a cage that has a base that is at least 30 inches by 18 inches, and height for levels.

I bought that cage as a temporary cage for a girl to be quarantined in.
It works fine as a temporary cage but really isn't big enough to use as a permanent cage.
If you purchase it, you will be wasting your money.

lilspaz68 said:
credit card for sure. The R-690 is not the best Martin's cage, I still prefer the R-680 myself but if you don't have a lot of space and don't plan on having more than the 2 girls it will do just fine :thumbup:

As was said there's very little room for a wheel on the bottom, but the whole cage drops into the base pan and there's handles that are supplied and you put on. Does Dad live in the US?

Yup, he lives in Chicago so, I am just going to get it shipped to him for 19.95, if I was getting it shipped here it would be 82.55 :|:|:|

I agree, the R680 would make a great cage for your two girls. You'll have lots of fun decorating it and watching the girls explore it all.

As an aside, I was talking to Dave who brings in CNs and FNs from Midwest in Ontario and they told him that they are working on an addition to add to the CN. But I'm not sure when that will actually be made.

what Jorats said about the R-690

I got an R-690 way back when I first got rats and now regret it. it looks spacious when they are little, but the second they get close to being full sized, it's obvious how small the cages actually are.

so I second the R-680 advice! there's plenty of room for a wheel (especially with the new bigger doors, which my old R-690s don't have) and for them to run around. plus, decorating is so much more fun :D you can fit so many cozy hammocks and toys in it.

it's what I am saving up to replace my R-690s with. ^.^

So my mom seems to think that after it gets through customs and all that it will be way more shipping charges than expected, so she wants to get the single CN. its 250 at pj's pets. Any cheaper places in CANADA that anyone knows of?

jenniferkelley said:
So my mom seems to think that after it gets through customs and all that it will be way more shipping charges than expected, so she wants to get the single CN. its 250 at pj's pets. Any cheaper places in CANADA that anyone knows of?

Flowertown Chinchillas in Brampton have them for $190.00

It's one shelf and one ramp, but there's lots of floor space so you don't need multiple shelves. Add climbing area with hammocks and whatnot.

Moon said:
It's one shelf and one ramp, but there's lots of floor space so you don't need multiple shelves. Add climbing area with hammocks and whatnot.

I could add shelves with doubled or tripled chicken wire as well. :)

jenniferkelley said:
Moon said:

I could add shelves with doubled or tripled chicken wire as well. :)

Yeah but you really don't need to, that entirely defeats the purpose of having a cage that's totally easy to clean and very safe. Too many sharp edges on chicken wire and so on.

A couple of rats in a single CN will be absolutely happy as clams. You can use zip ties to secure things like plastic boxes from the dollar store to the top, shower caddies, hamster balls, etc, if you want. But with hammocks and the shelf and some hanging toys, you'll quickly see that you don't need to add extra running space.

I think the one ramp and ledge is perfect. Lots of room to dangle stuff over the shelf, under the shelf, and next to it!
And of course to put stuff on it.

Badger loves running around the bottom of it. She just jumps over anything in her way.

lizmo1221 said:
Yep, exactly. Without powder coating the cage will stink to high heaven within a few weeks, and the smell will nover really go away. I think it will rust pretty quickly too.
Yeah, I made the mistake of not getting the powder coated when I didn't know any better.
It sticks. It's dirty. I toss it in the shower and hose it down whenever I clean the cage so that tends to help but...

jenniferkelley said:
victoria wrote:
Where in Canada are you?

I live just outside of Toronto. :)

Stay away from PJs Pets and go to Flowertown Chinchillas. If you can get a ride to Brampton, you won't even need to pay for shipping.

victoria said:
jenniferkelley said:
victoria wrote:
Where in Canada are you?

I live just outside of Toronto. :)

Stay away from PJs Pets and go to Flowertown Chinchillas. If you can get a ride to Brampton, you won't even need to pay for shipping.

I agree, I don't like stores that sell pets, so I got my mom to drive me down to Brampton, getting the CN saturday.

Back