Markings pic/question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky4LeafClover

Hope this is in an appropriate section.
My boys are black...The rex has a smokey dark color which to me is like a dark slate gray. The satin has darker glossy fur. My question is about whether they are Berkshire or Irish. I read on this site http://www.afrma.org/ratmkd.htm that they could be black irish due to white underbelly, white feet and white tipped tail ( they have small white tips on their tails and the rest dark). The white underbelly is not a triangle, it covers their whole tummies. It also says a berkshire should have completely white belly, feet and tail and a white spot between the ears. my boys don't have this. On the dapper rat website she says that only triangles on the belly are Irish.

2013-03-161558161_zpscadaaa47.jpg
This was the best picture I could get, as they didnt like being held up while they ate so I had them stand up to get the treat for the picture.

Yeah, it can be hard to figure out! Most websites have "show quality" standards described... and most pet rats aren't show quality, but are just as beautiful anyway!

They both look berkshire. Veriberk has the color going up more on the sides, varigated is when the back markings are more splotchy and they have a head spot or lightning blaze.

Adorable is a good name for it!

I agree i have one of each and those two are berks. The white doesnt go up on the sides at all and they have to much of a solid for the others.

Yes they're berkies :) even though the markings don't exactly match the website, like it was said above, those markings are for shows & extreme perfection, our pets are usuallyy never that perfect. They're adorable though! I lovee berkshires <3

Thank you all, I think it was the "perfection" thing that threw me off... I was like wait they have this...but not that and they have this ohhhh but not that.

Back