Mammory Tumor Surgery and Quotation Questions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katty

Hello, I just introduced myself in a previous thread. I have a situation I want some advice on that I am sure you may easily have experience with or an opinion on...

I took my very healthy rat, Dahlia (1 and 1/2 years old) to the vet today to have a gumball-sized lump on her side examined that I just noticed 2 days ago. I already knew it was a tumor before going to the vet but I don't have experience with this situation. I figured the vet would recommend surgery and he did. He said that her lump is in a good area for removal and the surgery will be no problem for her. He also explained that tumors often come back and that I should be aware of that and that he does not recommend surgery more than once for tumors (if it looks like they'll just keep cropping up). I appreciated his honesty. He also told me that many people elect not to do surgery and that it's a personal choice for me to make on the rat's behalf. I told him I would be interested in doing surgery and so he drew up a quote for me. When the receptionist went over the quote with me I was AMAZED by how expensive the surgery would be. It was quoted at just under $500 before taxes and not including post-op meds I might need to take home. I am SHOCKED. I read in other places online that this kind of surgery for small tumors is around $200. Is this because I live in Toronto? I am dealing with Dr. Luckwaldt at Amherst vet clinic in Scarborough where I have taken a different rat for various minor things. I like this clinic but am I paying too much? Any good vets in Toronto that offer a better pricing or is this a normal Toronto price? Also, I can only afford to do the surgery if I work a bunch of extra hours at my job...my boyfriend, who LOVES our rats too thinks I should just let Dahlia be and leave her tumor alone. So, what do you think about my quotation and about tumor surgery in general?

~Thank you for your comments.

That seems a little pricey to me too. A few here go to Dr. Munn in Toronto, not sure where his clinic is though.
It's true that mammary tumors can keep coming back which is why I always recommend a spay. Spays lowers the risk of mammary tumors from 90% to 5%. This is the reason why all my females get spayed... at any age I take them in.

jorats, I think I will go the spaying route with any new females if it helps to prevent these tumors.

eagle, that's the price I thought I'd be paying, except since I know stuff in Toronto always costs more for some reason, I figured I might be paying $300...but $500 PLUS tax, PLUS meds...wow...and the tumor might come back anyway...if it was only $200 I could take her for the surgery tomorrow, but something that's gonna be between $500 and $600 I have to save up for, and the longer I take to save, the more the surgery's gonna be because bigger tumours cost more to take out!!! :( I've told a couple of friends about the situation and they think that I shouldn't do the surgery partly because of the price but also because the tumor could easily come back...I feel torn. I really want to do the surgery but I'd have to find a way to work more to pay for it and I already am working full time.

I am very thankful for your recommendation. I will see what the quote is from Dr. Munn and I'll let you guys know if it's any different. Thanks for the information, you are very helpful. I must say that this whole situation makes me feel very distressed. I called my parents and told them about it and how expensive the surgery is and they think that I shouldn't do it. My boyfriend and parents both think I shouldn't do it (unless it can be done for cheaper, so I'll see what Dr. Munn would do it for)...but if it's around the same price, I don't know what I'm going to do or be able to do. Dahlia is so vibrant and energetic...I don't want her to eventually be weighed down by a huge tumour.

It's truly a hard decision. It's very costly and yet you know it will suck the life out of your rat and take her life at too young of an age. But you must do what you can. You can't over stretch your means. We'll be here to support you in what ever decision you make. :hugs:

That sucks Katty. Like Jo said, whatever decision you make we will be here for you. I hope Dr. Munn can give you a better quote, something more affordable. Even when accounting for problems to come up, $500 is a lot of money. I know I would be pretty torn if something like that happened to me. The reason I don't keep girls anymore is the tumor issue. Sending you best wishes from all the boys and I.

I can pretty much guarantee that you'll get a lower quote from Dr Munn, even with a spay at the same time it might come in cheaper. Can we ask what vet you did go to?

I have a girl who is 2+ and is living very comfortably and happily with two tumours, one in her armpit and one beside her anus. She climbs very well and it doesn't bother her in any way. Many lumps DON'T get huge and the rats live with them very well. But, if you can afford the surgery and she's healthy enough to do it, I'd really recommend it.

Moon said:
I can pretty much guarantee that you'll get a lower quote from Dr Munn, even with a spay at the same time it might come in cheaper.

I would ask about this too (if Dr.Munn doesn't already suggest it). Getting both done at once (if its a reasonable price) will be better than just having the tumor removal. Its always worth asking :) If it is too expensive for both, then thats fair enough.

update: I went to Greenwood clinic and saw Dr. Munn. I got a quote for $378 including taxes and the exam. I am making an appointment for her surgery soon. It's gonna be done in the first week of october.

In the past, I have spend thousands of dollars on tumor removal surgeries. This time around I have decided to get all my females spayed. In the long run it ends up being cheaper to spay over tumor removal.
Glad to hear things are working out for you.

Katty said:
update: I went to Greenwood clinic and saw Dr. Munn. I got a quote for $378 including taxes and the exam. I am making an appointment for her surgery soon. It's gonna be done in the first week of october.

Good news. I'm glad Dr Munn is going to work out for you. Isn't he awesome?!

Back