Mamarat's Pierre

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
Poor little Pierre developed a large mass at his right shoulder. It felt like it was all around the shoulder blade as well. Our vet wasn't hopeful but decided to try surgery anyway. The tumour, most likely malignant due to how fast it grew was very invasive and extended into the neck and jugular vein. The surgery was long and meticulous. But Pierre survived the first part. He's now back home with mamarat, missing his right arm and shoulder. We are hoping his recovery will go well. He was put on buprenorphine and metacam as well. We are very concerned about pain management at this point. Pierre is eating well and sleeping lots which is to be expected. Please send healing vibes!

Here's Pierre with his tumour:

PierreBefore2_zps8a46ead2.jpg

PierreBefore1_zps6d8127c2.jpg

And after:

PierreAfter_zpsd3aec9ed.jpg

That's so similar to Ginger's tumour... I wish my vet had not been so hesitant to amputate. My thoughts are with Pierre and mamarat :heart:

Lots of healing vibes for Pierre. If Pierre's recovery is due to love from mamarat he will be healed in no time. Keep us posted on Pierre's recover. Take care mamarat.

Ann

lilspaz68 said:
Ooh good young age, he should do well. What's his personality like? Confident or a bit unsure?
He's the alpha and Anna's "hubby" in that cage. He is looking pretty good this morning and got his "fix" earlier.
Thank you for all the healing vibes. So nice to have all your support.

So relieved that he is doing well, after that complex surgery. Nasty tumour. Please give him a kiss from me.

Would your vet consider short term use of an opiate for pain relief?

Godmother said:
So relieved that he is doing well, after that complex surgery. Nasty tumour. Please give him a kiss from me.

Would your vet consider short term use of an opiate for pain relief?

isn't buprenorphine an opiate?
I think it's similar to torbugesic (or maybe the same thing with a different name?) that the vets use for cats

I'm so glad he did well with the surgery. I considered surgery for my boy Dudley when he developed a tumour on his arm, but frankly I didn't think he'd survive the surgery. I'm glad you have such a talented vet on your side!

Back