Mamarat's Lab Boys 2 + 2 pics 08/11 :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

So the lab boys are here now. I went down and picked them up, so they wouldn't get eaten by raccoons or let loose in the park.

Happily, even before I pick up the boys, Mamarat's already adopted them...hehehe.

She was even faster this time then with Adam, Sam and Jevy. I had them in my home for a whole 3 hours before she adopted them. Rescue boys just don't stay very long at my place. :thumbup:

Well the boys are 7-8 weeks old, they are real Sprague Dawley's which are bred to be very docile. There is one boy who is more outgoing than his brother and he has a slightly narrower space between his eyes. I call him Brave Boy. And the other one I call Shy Boy...original names eh?

But who cares about that, Shelagh, where are the pics???? :stickpoke:

Brave Boy
Braveboy1.jpg

Braveboy2.jpg

BraveBoy3.jpg

Shy Boy
Shyboy3.jpg

Shyboy1.jpg

Shyboy2.jpg

Brave Boy and Shy Boy
BraveboyandShyboy.jpg

BraveboyandShyboy2.jpg

Brave Boy up close
Braveboyclose.jpg

Shy Boy and Brave Boy up close
ShyboyandBraveboyclose.jpg

They are lovely and lucky little manrats. :lovestruck:

jorats said:
OMG!! Oh soooo beautiful!!
Did Daniel say what kind of behavioral tests were done on them?

No and I meant to ask. I called when I reached Bessarion station and he brought them down and handed an open pop box to me over the barrier, said a few words (gave me their food) and said, "Thanks...bye". By then I was in Ratty Throes...and didn't think to yell after him.

I did send him an email asking just now though. :oops:

yay!!! :congrats: I'm glad they have found a new and happy home. They certainly are pretty boys :love2: How different are the type they are from regular rats? Sprague Dawley? what does that mean? Congrats again, do you expect any problems with them? :coffee:

Sprague Dawley rats are bred for labs.

Here's what I found:

Common characteristics of the Sprague Dawley Rat include:

Anatomy and Physiology

Adult body weight: 250 - 300g (female); 450 - 520g (male)
Life span: 2.5 - 3.5 years
Respiratory rate: 70 - 115 breaths/minute
Heart rate: 250 - 450 beats/minute

They should also be myco free...until they are exposed to the real world.

And googling some more, it looks like Harlan are the makers?

And another definition of it:

A strain of albino rat used widely for experimental purposes because of its calmness and ease of handling. It was developed by the sprague-dawley animal company.

From Harlan.com (although there are a lot of places you can get SD rats now)

Albino. Originated by the Sprague-Dawley Company, Madison, Wisconsin, in 1925 through a series of crosses begun with a single-hooded male and six albino females of unknown origin. Current Harlan colonies are direct descendants of this original colony.

Characteristics

* Litter average: 10.5

* Docile disposition

* Most widely used outbred rat in animal research

* Excellent reproductive performance and maternal characteristics

Research Use

* Toxicology

* Aging

* Teratology

* Oncology

* Nutrition

* General purpose model

And here are the images of SD rats from different sites

sd_rat.jpg

SDrat.jpg

Yep they look just like proper SD rats. :mrgreen:

I think the myco free rats are different. I think it depends on what the rat is going to be used for. Regular SD's are expensive but a myco-free strain would be even more.

:shock:

The boys came out tonight for a bit. You can tell they haven't been handled much, but they are already figuring it out. :) Brave Boy gave me a couple of cheeky nips but quickly stopped when I "eeked". I have to remember these are adolescents and my girls really pushed the limits at this age. :roll:

SB (aka Shy Boy) He's my fav, he's a bit timid but rather sweet.
ShyBoy1aug1.jpg

ShyBoy2Aug1.jpg

BB (the Rat Formerly Known as Brave Boy)
BraveBoy1Aug1.jpg

Anyone for a Goolie Hat?
BraveBoy2Gooliehat.jpg

I was hoping for more pics. You must be a mind reader. Thanks Shelagh. they are so gorgeous. :lovestruck: :heart: :heart:

Godmother said:
Beautiful boys! So glad that they got lucky at last.

( :threadjacked: How do you insert a photo without doing a Photobucket link?)

There isn't that option on here, so you have to have a photo hosting website to link the URL to.

I :heart: my Photobucket! Still waiting for them to tell me its full!! :mrgreen:

Back